cuda installation compatibility

Hi,

Looking at Table 1. in [url]Installation Guide Linux :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation I see that CUDA v.8 supports only Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.4.0.

I have an MSI with GTX 1050Ti, installed Ubuntu 16.04 (with 4.8 kernel).

copy paste from terminal:
christina@christina-GE62-7RD:~$ uname -a
Linux christina-GE62-7RD 4.8.0-36-generic #36~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Sun Feb 5 09:39:57 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I understand correctly, I cannot install CUDA v.8. with this configuration? Should I downgrade any of my configuration ( or install previous CUDA version) ?

Thanks

I had no problem’s installing and running CUDA on Ubuntu 16.04.2 up to kernel 4.8.0-54.
Whether that is still the case after last night’s 4.8.0-56 update remains to be seen (it’s been a big pain for me).
In the case of a real incompatibility Nvidia is usually quick to resolve that with a driver update.

Thanks tera for your quick response.

Another question I have: if I install CUDA while already installed the Nvidia driver will it be fine?

I’m wondering about this because here:
[url]How do I install the Nvidia drivers? - Ask Ubuntu
it seems that you don’t need to separately install an Nvidia driver if you are going to install CUDA and if I remember from a previous trial, CUDA asks whether to install the nvidia drivers.