Eclipse on Nvidia Jetson Nano

Hi,
I’m not able to use Eclipse to develop in Java on my Nvidia Jetson Nano.
I found a version of Eclipse for ARM arch (the one used for Raspberry) but it crashes with this error:

!SESSION Mon Jul 01 20:57:19 CEST 2019 -----------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2019-07-01 20:57:19.362
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
        at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:471)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:588)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:626)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)

Does somebody have any idea how to solve this?

Or to install whatever version of Eclipse on the Nvidia Jetson Nano?

HI navy1978,

We only offer an eclipse plugin with Jetson Jetpack called Nsight Eclipse Edition to enable a CUDA remote visual debugging experience and cross compiling from a PC to Jetson.

Document of Nsight can be found here:
[url]https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/nsight-eclipse-edition-getting-started-guide/index.html[/url]

Thanks

1 Like

I’m sorry to say this but I’m very disappointed…

I undestand you are a moderator, and maybe you have nothing to do with what I’m going to say but I have to share my frustration with somebody:

I have bought Nvidia Jetson Nano to develop an app in java and to manage some cameras with VLCJ. Nvidia jetson Nano on the paper is a lot better than a Raspberry Pi, and till now I only had problems:

1. Nvidia Jetson Nano doesn’t support Eclipse IDE, maybe the most used IDE to develop in the world…
  2. Nvidia Jetson Nano doesn’t support VLC maybe the most used video player in the world.

What is wrong here? Both programes are working well on Raspberry Pi…

I didn’t expect to have all those limitations with this machine: I don’t get why you provide a complete linux environment if the experience is so bad…

Are there any chances to have at least VLC working on this machine?

Thank you in advance.

If you want VLC to capture the MIPI CSI bayer sensor I would tell sorry can’t support due to need ISP pipeline. But for the USB or YUV sensor I believe VLC should be working for it.

Hi ShaneCCC, no I need only to display video… Are you able to use VLC on Nvidia Jetson Nano? Please let me know…

Yes, you can run an Xvfb server supporting VLC on the Nano.
You can also just connect directly to the running X client system using either ssh -A, putty with agent-forwarding, or a tool such as Mobaterm, assuming you have an X server for your host OS.
I would highly recommend using X forwarding over VLC, because the X protocol is more efficient.

Note that, even when connecting over X, things that require the GPU/video codecs will not use the Nano resources, because the acceleration is tied to the server you’re using (the display you’re physically looking at.)
You can get around this by running the GPU-requiring tools with “export DISPLAY=:0” but of course, that means windows show up on the Nano display, not your local terminal.

@Snarky:

First of all thank you for your reply.
Not clear to me how to have VLC running on Xvfb server and connecting to that ssh, is there a guide to follow?
It sounds so difficult… And even if it works I don’t know if it will work with my project. I have a Java app that is using VLCJ (a java binding for LibVLC.)…

I think the easiest solution would be to have a linux distribution for Nano similar to what Raspberry is using indeed in another topic: VLC doesn't work on Nvidia Jetson Nano - Jetson Nano - NVIDIA Developer Forums

that what the user “DIablo” says:
[i]"Raspberry Pi 4 works because raspbian offers a 32bit kernel (armhf) and works only for 32bit armhf packets

Instead nvidia jetson nano you must compile it for aarch64/arm64 64bits although there are ways to run 32bits under aach64 if you use the multilib mode

VLC does not have a pure stable version for aarch64 at least considered so by snap has no support yet for aarch64/arm64 64bits. "[/i]

But I have no idea how to accomplish that… Do you have some suggestion from where to start ?

does the eclipse plugin run on both windows & linux? with former? latter? neither of the two?

With the latest JetPack, default-jdk (openjdk-11), libwebkitgtk-dev, libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev and Eclipse IDE 2021-06 R, Eclipse IDE is working on Jetson Nano now.