External monitor issue on Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) using Nvidia 510 and 470 proprietary drivers

I’m not able to see my external monitors on Ubuntu 22.04 64-bit using the latest or second latest proprietary drivers. I dual boot with Windows 11 and the Windows OS with Nvidia drivers can see the drivers clearly. Only when I revert to Ubuntu Noveau drivers can I see the external monitors. Enabling/Disabling Secure Boot in BIOS has no impact. Nvidia RTX 3060 Mobile GPU. Running the two external monitors through a DisplayPort hub. Everything works fine with it in Windows 11.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Please see attached: nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (310.6 KB)

Just a heads up, I did a separate but related post on the Ubuntu forums b/c a USB-C DisplayPort 1.4 capable hub freezes Jammy if I were to remove and reinsert the hub into my laptop using the Noveau drivers. Windows 11 does a better job at handling this behavior and there’s no OS crash involved with the latest NVIDIA 512.xx drivers installed.

Another interesting note, with the NVIDIA 510 driver installed, if I replug the blank monitors via hub into my laptop, one of the monitors has an “Out Of Range” message.

Does it work if you switch to performance mode?
sudo prime-select nvidia

So that does have an impact to where if I now reinsert the USBC hub, both external monitors no longer fade to black (standby mode) but I’m still not getting any video signal. Ubuntu now sees the 2 external monitors in the OS display setting and it does appear the windows I have open are moving to another screen when I change the primary monitor, but still no signal from the monitors themselves.

Screenshot from 2022-05-12 15-56-53

Working solution: So if I set the resolution to the exact same on all 3 monitors, the external ones begin to properly display: (1920x1080 which is also my native laptop monitor resolution). From there I can readjust the monitors to their respective native resolutions. The settings will also remain persistent after a reboot but you need to replug the hub back into the USBC port after you login in order to get the external screens to reappear.

Does copying
~/.config/monitors.xml
to
/var/lib/gdm3/.config/monitors.xml
help with the monitors working without un-/replug?

Not really. In my setup, the /var/lib/gdm3/.config/monitors.xml was initially missing.