[FAILED] Failed to start Configure USB flashing port for device mode

I made some progress and can get to this screen (before it was the EULA screen).

The change i made was flashing from the terminal after creating a user instead of sdkmanager.

If only there is a way to ssh into it to log in. Is this not possible through ethernet? I thought it was but I am just too noob to figure it out.

Is only micro usb dead or every usb port are dead?

only USB A is dead.

Micro USB is functional
HDMI is functional
Ethernet I believe is functional

I think I have a very similar problem to this person, which I read a while ago but didn’t understand but now it makes more sense.

Do I need a crossover cable?

Meant to link entire thread, not just that one reply ^

Is the “ifconfig” showing address 192.168.55.1 on the host PC side? If so, that’s wrong…that should be the Jetson’s IP address. ifconfig on the host PC should show 192.168.55.100. So I’m guessing that ifconfig is from the Jetson, not host.

FYI, if address 192.168.55.1 can be pinged from the host PC, and if that address is the one the Jetson has, then this message indicates the ssh server on the Jetson is probably not running:

(but do verify 192.168.55.1 as being Jetson side, not host PC side)

On the Jetson side, if your login name is “user”, what happens if you try to log in from a console and then locally over ssh?
ssh user@localhost
…does it say connection refused?

Hey there~!

I actually may have modified it in my attempt to solve the issue/assign IP addresses. I was attempting to follow a guide (will look it up in a sec) which said to modify the IPv4 addresses and assign a host and a target machine with the respective IP addresses.

All that to say, I would not trust exactly what ifconfig shows… It definitely is the host PC side. I cannot login to the the Jetson OS because of the broken USB mode. I can accept it’s wrong as I probably stuffed it up.

I can try revert the changes and send the ifconfig again.

Thanks for your help!

In response to the second part, I believe it says connection refused but most likely because of the incorrect assignment of IP addresses.

Let me resolve that ASAP.

I was following this guide and trying to do step 2.b

I researched and added some profiles in “Network Settings”. I have now deleted those profiles

ifconfig
enp5s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::fb2c:6977:cb19:4527 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
ether b4:2e:99:a1:dc:3c txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 1360 bytes 353493 (353.4 KB)
RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 3132 bytes 571303 (571.3 KB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
device memory 0xf7600000-f761ffff

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10
loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback)
RX packets 77660 bytes 8448255 (8.4 MB)
TX packets 77660 bytes 8448255 (8.4 MB)

wlp4s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.0.122 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
inet6 fe80::fef:1984:2307:183b prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20
ether 50:e0:85:8a:d5:5e txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)
RX packets 7919715 bytes 11738935689 (11.7 GB)
TX packets 2055339 bytes 184280455 (184.2 MB)

arp -a
? (192.168.0.55) at on wlp4s0
dlinkrouter (192.168.0.1) at a0:ab:1b:97:4d:f0 [ether] on wlp4s0

This command shows an interesting result.

However none of these are the 192.168.55.1 or 192.168.55.100 which we are looking for. Any ideas why?

ssh jack@192.168.55.1

has no output and seems like it is running something but nothing happens (it doesn’t allow further commands)

I guess my next step is to buy a crossover cable to connect the two PCs together in hopes that it will detect the target board.

And if that fails, test UART connection. Will keep you posted/ask for any other questions if I think of any

There are something that I don’t really understand. Let me explain how this works and then introduce my questions here.

1. In the beginning, your problem is “nv-14t-usb-device-mode.service” not able to run and the desktop is not able to show up.

This “nv-14t-usb-device-mode.service” is a script to initiate the usb device port as a ethernet interface. That is why you can ping 192.168.55.1 without any ethernet cable connected. This “192.168.55.1” is not from the etherent but from the micro usb port. Thus, I thought it was dead micro usb port in the beginning.

1. Then after you re-flash this board, desktop is showing up, but you said actually only USB A is dead.

And here comes the part that I cannot understand

If micro USB is working, then I have no idea why nv-14t-usb-device-mode.service fails to start. Without this script, usb device port would not become an interface that you can ssh to.
But actually I don’t care which interface you are using. What we need to do now is find out a interface that we can use to start a console on device and dump the log. With the log, I can tell why usb port is dead.

Those interfaces come to my mind are HDMI, Ethernet, UART.

Another weird part is if this is TX2 board, then actually the micro usb port is able to run as host mode too. It means you can connect a keyboard to micro usb port and it should be working along with HDMI monitor so that you can dump the log…
But what I am taling is devkit case, so I am not sure if Leopard also makes their micro usb port with otg function.

Hi there, I’m sorry it’s been quite unclear. I hope this helps you a bit more to summarise everything that’s happened:

1. At the start “nv-14t-usb-device-mode.service” was my error. However after that it would load the EULA page (where you accept the license) indicating the OS was successfully flashed. I could not do anything from this screen as I the USB type A port was dead.

2. However I could type in “lsusb” to get the nvidia address 7c18 … This means the micro usb should be working as that is the only connection between the host and target machine.

3. I could ping 192.168.55.1 ONLY because I set my host machine to be address 192.168.55.1, so the host machine was pinging itself. When I removed that “profile” from Network Settings, “ping 192.168.55.1” no longer works - with or without ethernet cable

4. I created a user by using the script I linked above, and then reflashed in terminal (not sdkmanager) by using “sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1” and this brought me to the desktop screen with the user. I still cannot login because I have no way to communicate with the board (ping is dead) and the mouse/keyboard doesn’t work due to the USB A issue.

5. I agree that the best thing is to find an interface that will allow me to log in, get the logs so you can find out why the port is failing… I will try with an ethernet cable or UART to try to log in. I do not know how to do that through HDMI or micro usb? But that may be good to check out.

I mean if Leopard uses the same design same nv devkit, then their micro usb port should have otg function too.

In that case, if you can use some usb A to micro USB adapter, you can use keyboard on micro usb port.

Them, with HDMI and keyboard, you can login and dump log.

Hi there,

So it turns out that Leopard Imaging use an entirely different OS image (based on Jetpack 4.2.2) with a dtb file that once installed enables the USB mode.

I am glad I reached out to them as without that file I don’t think the USB would’ve worked.

Thanks for all your help with this anyway, I’ve learnt a lot about the board itself and how the machines communicate through ssh and micro USB that I didn’t know before.

This thread can be closed :)

1 Like

Glad they finally provide their package here.

Hi, I have the same trouble, Can you provide an OS and dtb files ? I want to have a try, thanks

Are you using the Leapard carrier board? That’s what this thread was for. If you are using that, then they (the manufacturer of the board) must provide that content. If you are using the development kit, then you need to start a new thread. FYI, the list of available JetPack/SDKM versions (which is run on a Linux PC for flashing a Jetson) is here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack-archive