Fans won't stay on once temp threshold reached on new GeForce 980Ti card

Card is a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming

This is a new install of Ubuntu on this machine with this new card. I’ve never used this card with linux successfully yet. I’ve installed several nvidia drivers and the following behavior is always the same:

When the card reaches a certain temperature threshold(60 C) the fans are suppose to start spinning, they don’t.

Current Linux Behavior:
Card starts up, temperature is between 20-45 C. None of the fans are spinning, and the light indicators on card are “Silent” and “Stop”. So far so good. Then, I run the following command to get the gpu moving:

LD_PRELOAD=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 /usr/bin/glmark2

Once the GPU reaches the temp 60 C, both light indicators turn off and the indicator “Windforce” turns on. The fans start up at 30% speed and start getting faster as temp rises. However, they stop after about 30secs as temperature continues to climb. I shutdown glmark around 73C so as not to damage the card.

However, once I shutdown glmark and let the gpu cooloff, the fans turn back on when the card gets close to 60C(this takes several minutes for the gpu to get back close to 60C). However, once it goes below 60C, the “Silent” “Stop” lights turn on and the fans turn off again.

Expected Behavior:
The lights are behaving correctly, however, at 60C the fans should turn on and stay on until temp drops below 60C again.

Logs from most recent install(newest drivers) and bug reports:
Installer: Dropbox - nvidia-installer.log - Simplify your life
Heatup Log during glmark after fans turn off 1st time: Dropbox - nvidia-bug-report.log.gz - Simplify your life
Cooldown Log after glmark off, after fans turn off 2nd time: Dropbox - nvidia-bug-report-2.log.gz - Simplify your life

I’m fairly new to linux and this card, any ideas? The GPU seems to be working fine in Windows 10. All I’ve really tried is installing various different drives, all with similar results(a few older drivers the fans never turn on).

Note: If it matters, using the Nouveau driver the fans spin non-stop(at max speed I believe) no matter the temperature.

Thanks!
pcb

Managed to replicated on another windows OS, fans always shut off around 68C in Manual and Auto modes…must be hardware issue. Filed a ticket with Gigabyte.