Fresh flash Xavier: Cannot see Device

We carefully followed the setup instructions and connected the USB-C cable as shown in the Quick Start.

We do not see any NVIDIA device on the host (tried 3-4 different Linux hosts).

On the device, we also dont see any network interfaces. When we connect ethernet that shows up but nothing configured for 192.168.55.1 that the flashing process is expecting. We used the cable included and also bought another one to check but both show the same issue.

Is there anything obvious we are missing or can try to force the network connection?

Which USB-C connection are you using? Be sure to use the connector closest to the 40 pin header.

Yes, using the back side connector. Not the side with USB a or HDMI ports. I can send a photo to be sure if you want

When you say that you do not see an NVIDIA device what do you mean exactly? Do you mean that lsusb | grep -i nvidia finds nothing? Do you get the same results when the device is in recovery mode?

Yes, lsusb does not list NVIDIA. Only intel and other usb devices.

It was the same list in recovery mode but I can try again to be sure. Was trying to connect the SDK manager to flash so mostly trying in normal mode

Does the Xavier boot?

I’d check to see if lsusb lists the device in recovery mode.

Yes it boots, we can ssh and do stuff on it. Also made the mistake of unminize to make sure everything is open but didn’t change anything.

If it doesn’t see it still after manual recovery mode is entered then what should I do?

It’s hard to imagine that you’re doing something wrong. I guess you could post a photo but I’m pretty convinced that nothing is wrong with your setup. Is it connected through a USB hub? Are your linux hosts native or VMs?

If you still can’t enumerate when in recovery mode then maybe your Xavier is broken. Someone from Nvidia will see this post and help.

Which USB-C? Is it the one next to the 40-pin header? If not, use that.

When logged in to the Xavier, what do you see from “ifconfig” and “route”?

If you run “dmesg --follow” on your host PC, and then connect the USB-C, what messages show up? If anything does show up, then what output do you see on the host PC from “ifconfig” and “route” commands?

“dmesg --follow” wasn’t showing any activity when plugging the cable in for Normal mode.

ifconfig doesn’t show 192.168.55.1

Then forcing Xavier manually to recovery mode, finally showed some messages on USB through ‘dmesg’ and ‘lsusb’ now shows NVIDIA.

SDK Manager seems to be flashing it.

After flashing 192.168.55.100 show up in Host’s ifconfig and it can connect via ssh to 192.168.55.1 after creating an account on the Device.

Thanks all

Awesome!