G-sync causes stuttering in Metro Redux games (GeForce 980 Ti | NVIDIA 367.57 | Mint 18.1)

Stuttering starts right away with the intro video’s. It’s like 1 second gameplay, followed by 4 seconds freeze continuously. Sometimes the game menu fails to load at all, freezing the entire system. Other Steam games I tested appear to be fine. I tried the NVIDIA 375 driver, but the problem remains.

When G-sync is turned off, the game runs normally.

Is there a known solution to this? Other than turning off G-sync, obviously.

Some shots in the dark:

• Have you checked Users and Groups to see if there’s anything in there that you need to have permissions for?

• Have you thinned the herd in Startup Applications?

• If you don’t need nVidia audio, have you tried turning it off?

• Have you tried installing linux-lowlatency 4.4.x from Synaptic Package Manager? I prefer it to linux-generic because every machine I’ve used it on just seems to have more perk.

[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/984727/linux/nvidia-smi-works-but-no-glx-or-cuda-available-for-gtx-960/post/5061134/#5061134[/url]

Another background process that IME Linux Mint 18 & 18.1 MATE can do without:

CAVEATS RE LINUX MINT 18 BASED UPON UBUNTU 16.04 LTS

Both of the above GNU/Linux operating systems (and presumably others which are also based upon Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) have a daemon and nine associated libraries & files which can automatically update a modern motherboard’s UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) over the Internet.

Automatically updating a motherboard’s UEFI via the Internet raises the spectre of a maliciously modified UEFI update being surreptitiously installed.

Launch Synaptic Package Manager and search for and ensure the complete deletion of the following 10 files (which ones are actually installed depends upon how the UEFI was configured at OS installation time):

fwupd
fwupdate
fwupdate-amd64-signed
fwupdate-signed
libdfu-dev
libdfu1
libfwup-dev
libfwup0
libfwupd-dev
libfwupd1

NOTE:

The above file deletion approach does not work correctly in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS because libfwupd1 and ubuntu-software (which allows one to install additional applications and utilities from the Ubuntu Repositories) are co-dependent.

Optional:

GETTING HDD TEMPERATURES TO DISPLAY in Linux Mint 18’s MATE Sensors Applet

In Linux Mint 18 the daemon hddtemp is not enabled to run with root privileges by default as doing so can (from what I’ve read) enable hddtemp to be exploited by an attacker. However, hddtemp must be root privilege-enabled in order to display hard drive temperatures in MATE Sensors Applet. How to do so:

In Terminal, run…

sudo dpkg-reconfigure hddtemp

…and follow the onscreen instructions.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but can you please try 384.90? There was a fix in that release for stutter when G-SYNC is enabled in games that use the GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear extension, which includes some of the Metro games.

Will check. I’ll report in a few days.

Confirmed fixed for both Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux with 384.90.

Great, thanks for confirming!