Intel 9260 adapter not working

Hi,

I’ve plugged the Intel 9260 Wifi+BT adapter to the M2 type E connector and installed the linux-firmware package but the wifi device is still UNCLAIMED. Any ideas of what I’m missing?

$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: Intel Corporation
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0002:01:00.0
version: 29
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:34200000-34203fff

Thanks,
Fernando

This is probably telling you that when the hardware was detected and announced, no driver took ownership. Looks like it probably uses one of the IWLWIFI drivers. What do you see from:

zcat /proc/config.gz | egrep 'IWLWIFI'
lsmod | egrep -i '(iwl|wifi)'
lspci

Hi Thanks for the quick reply, here is what I get:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | egrep ‘IWLWIFI’
CONFIG_IWLWIFI=m
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS=y
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_OPMODE_MODULAR=y

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_BCAST_FILTERING is not set

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_PCIE_RTPM is not set

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG is not set

CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEVICE_TRACING=y

$lsmod | egrep -i ‘(iwl|wifi)’
(nothing)

$ lspci
0000:00:00.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad0 (rev a1)
0000:01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM961/PM961
0001:00:00.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad2 (rev a1)
0001:01:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 9171 (rev 13)
0002:00:00.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1ad2 (rev a1)
0002:01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 2526 (rev 29)

I don’t have that particular adapter, but it sounds like the device driver never loaded. Anyone here know what can be checked for the Intel 7260 to find out if the driver is in place?

$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
hid_logitech_hidpp 22849 0
hid_logitech_dj 14005 0
bnep 16619 2
fuse 103334 3
ahci 20566 0
bluedroid_pm 14104 0
ip_tables 18922 0
x_tables 29079 1 ip_tables

The iwl driver is the one which should probably show up.

It did load after:

$ sudo modprobe iwlwifi

$ lsmod | egrep -i ‘(iwl|wifi)’
iwlwifi 221475 0
cfg80211 558831 1 iwlwifi

But it is still unclaimed and not working. Any ideas? I’ve checked and firmware seems to be there:

$ ls /lib/firmware/9260
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-33.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-34.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-38.ucode

Perhaps the module just wasn’t automatically loaded at the moment when the device was announced. Try this, and then reboot:

sudo depmod -a

Didn’t work :(

I’m wondering if there something missing in the kernel. Did anybody here got the Xavier to work with WiFi?

Hi fnunes,

Have you managed to get Intel 9260 working?
We have tested with Intel 7260 and 8265 and they are all functional, so perhaps this is just a driver incompatibility on Intel 9260, however we don’t have it on hand to do more investigation now.

Thanks

Let us know if you get it working @fnunes, i ordered the same card since it seems to be one of the the newest in the Intel series :/

@kayccc. shouldn’t be hard for you guys to get a Intel 9260 fast, this is probably going to be the wifi / bluetooth card users will buy… :)

@kayccc, nope it is not working for me. :(

You could get it with free one-day shipping from:

@fnunes,
Have you checked if firmware loading is enabled in the original kernel config ?
if not, the .ucode files won’t be loaded.

Can’t check for myself since i want be receiving my Xavier before Monday :/

Having the same issue. When I try sudo insmod iwlwifi.ko I get symbol not found error.

I assume so, as kayccc confimed it works for other wifi adapters (7260 and 8265).

How can I check this?

The symbol not found error implies there was a prerequisite dependency feature config needed but not found. A contrived example would be if you enabled encrypted file systems, but no encryption method was defined. When changing config from a match of “/proc/config.gz” to add what you want I suggest using “make nconfig” for the configuration change since you can search for symbols and have it resolve dependencies.

One place you might find unresolvable symbols is if the feature is backported from some future kernel and the other feature has not yet been invented in this version. Or conversely, if something old is being used and one of the related features no longer exists.

I looked at the kernel config everything is like its supposed to be. No dmesg messages except GPIO line 339 (wifi-enable) hogged as output/high. I checked my order and sure enough they sent the wrong card so exchanging it for the recommended card.

Good for you @danpollock , but i will still have to fight the 9260 :)
Could you do me a favor and check the /firmware folder, and see what iwlwifi-xxxx.ucode files that is there ?
I un tar’d the kernel source on my pc, but couldn’t find any .ucode files.

Is the Xavier going on your rover ? :)

Yep on one of them. Just finished up the suspension linkage today. Its finally on the ground. Just have to wire up the motors now and it will be ready to test. Found a couple of issues with the ROS roboteq driver and melodic and fixed those. So the stack is ready to go as well. The firmware is in /lib/firmware doesn’t come with the kernel source. There are 3 different firmwares for the 9260. A little concerned with the plastic box and static so putting a piece of antistatic under the Xavier connected to the metal frame and carbon tube outriggers. Stuffing those with steel wool. That should provide enough sink for any static electricity. Sprayed the box several times with downy and water mix and let it dry too. Since the Xavier is open on the bottom don’t want any sparks jumping to the board and screwing up something.