Jetson Nano 2G SSH ssh @192.168.55.1 connection timed out

Hi,
When I connect my jetson nano 2G to my laptop with the headless device mode using:

ssh <username>@192.168.55.1

I get:

ssh: connect to host 192.168.55.1 port 22: Connection timed out

P.S: I’m connecting with USB-C adapter.

Your USB-C side on the PC should work fine. Is the supplied micro-B USB cable used at the Jetson side?

Which o/s is the host PC? Linux? If so, then if you run command “dmesg --follow” on the host PC, what do you see as you plug in the fully booted Jetson via its USB-C?

When the Jetson is fully booted, then USB should pretend to be a network device. During plugin of the USB (assuming the Jetson has completed booting) there should be a log message about what it sees upon plugin.

Also, on the host PC, after the fully booted Jetson is connected via its micro-B USB cable, what do you see for the output of “ifconfig” and “route”? If networking shows up, but fails, then it is probably a firewall issue. If networking shows up partially (e.g., no IP address), the it is seeing the device even if it isn’t allowing it to be used. The above should be able to say whether there is a device issue versus firewall issue.

I’m working on Windows 10. My laptop gets only USB-C so I use an adapter USB-A to USB-C.

When I run command “dmesg --follow” I get the following error message:

I’m getting immediatly after connection the $ lclient_loop: send disconnect: Connection reset and it’s become impossible to connect to it.

Some other time it fails immedialtely and I get Connection reset by 192.168.55.1 port 22 when it’s asking me my password

About route and ifconfig I got this:

Commands like “dmesg” from Linux won’t work in Windows (“dmesg” implies your host is running Linux). About all I can tell you is that Windows will need to be told to accept the USB network device before you can use it. In this case there is nothing the Jetson can do, it has no authority to tell the Windows host to use the network device until you manually set up networking to allow this.

On the Linux side the combination of “route” and “ifconfig” says this system is using wired ethernet to a router, and that this is functioning. However, wired ethernet does not use the “192.168.55.1” address…this instead is set by the router, and the router assigned address “192.168.1.50". This can change, but if you verify from the Jetson that eth0 has address "192.168.1.50", then from your Windows PC, can you ssh to "192.168.1.50`”? It is possible Windows won’t need to have any special setup to work with this address if the two are on the same router.

Indeed, it runs only with ethO and wlan0. So, I will use them with this laptop. But I don’t understand why.

The reason is usually that the host PC (or laptop in your case) is set up (for security reasons) to not automatically use every plugged in USB device by default. As an example, imagine if something malicious were inserted into USB while you were not there…you wouldn’t want it to run automatically until you ok it. It is just a case of the host PC (running Windows in your case) needing to be told that the USB network device is allowed. I don’t do much with Windows, so I couldn’t tell you what is needed, but a real ethernet will have superior performance anyway.

I’m facing on the same difficulty. But when I checked IPv4 in Jetson Nano, the number of it is different from the one in the guide.

PC port: USB type-A
Jetson Nano: USB type-B
USB cable: 1.2m USB 2.0
Jetpack 4.6 installed in Jetson Nano 2GB Developer kit

IPv4 in the guide: 192.168.55.1
IPv4 in Jetson Nano (in which Jetpack 4.6 installed) : 192.168.0.21

in Window’s Powershell I filled the following number:
ssh @192.168.0.21

So I can make it, and the connection is stable.

Also, I can use the same IPv4 number in entering Jupyter Notebook.

192.168.0.21:8888

This sounds like a different topic, so you should start a new forum thread. Briefly though, the micro-B USB cable should provide address to the external machine of “192.168.55.1”, and it is not programmed to provide anything different. If you are seeing “192.168.0.21”, then this address was assigned from a router (probably on wired ethernet, but possibly on WiFi if you have set this up), and is not determined by the Jetson.

So, start a new thread and include all network wiring setup, and mention the micro-B USB cable setup as well (you can ignore the full-sized USB connector, this does not act as a network device).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.