Jetson nano not booting up

This comes up and I do not know what is happening nor how to fix it (if it matters, I have an intel wifi and bluetooth card):

[1.099106]  tegradc tegradc.1: dpd enable lookup fail:-19
[1.283174]  imx219 7-0010: imx219_board_setup: error during i2c read probe (-121)
[1.283204]  imx219 7-0010: board setup failed
[1.307018]  imx219 8-0010: imx219_board_setup: error during i2c read probe (-121)
[1.307050]  imx219 8-0010: board setup failed
cp: not writing through dangling symlink 'etc/resolv.conf'
[2.352432]  cgroup: cgroup2: unknown option "nsdelegate"
[3.783121]  random: crng init done
[3.786554]  random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
[3.981612]  using random self ethernet address
[3.988566]  using random self ethernet address
[4.342614]  iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode failed with error -2
[4.351921]  iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Falling back to user helper
[5.103211]  using random self ethernet address
[5.113533]  using random host ethernet address
[5.626275]  iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0:  Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode failed with error -2
[5.636351]  iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Falling back to user helper
[6.088980]  iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0:  Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode failed with error -2
[6.098596]  iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Falling back to user helper

I guess you are trying to say the desktop is not showing up and you see some log like this on your monitor, right?

Please use the serial console log or ssh to confirm your board is booting up into device. And just desktop not showing up.
https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

Is it a nano-2gb or nano-4gb device?

4gb. I have found that it booted by going to my wifi’s device manager page and the device is connected. How do I get the display to show up?

Are you able to switch to console by press ctrl+alt + F1~F6 ?

After that, please try to restart gdm3 servcie.

firstly, there is no visual indicator when ttyping in the password to login. it does not show *'s like windows/websites do.

I would chroot into the filesystem and then change the password for the user (as root - “passwd ” won;t prompt you for the existing password).
Whilst you have the sd card connected, I would also take 30 seconds to add the contents of your id_rsa.pub to the .ssh/authorized_keys file to the user’s home directory (and also root too but only temporarily, due to security concerns). briefly checking /etc/ssh/sshd.conf to make sure that root logins are permitted before rebooting the device.
Then you will be able to login via the on screen console AND via ssh.
when you have user/root access I would try dpkg-reconfigure lightdm (if restarting gdm3 doesn;t work)

this is a quick and dirty method to regain access to a device when you have physical access to the storage medium

I cannot find the password in any of the files, and in the passwd and psswd- files there is nothing useful I can find, I do not know what I am doing but where is the first place I should go in the sd card when viewing it externally, or is there a way to brute force it?

Hi @dominic311dj,

Since your “story” here is very short, I cannot tell much from your case.

What I want to know is

1. Did you ever use this board to successfully see the ubuntu desktop showing up?

2. If you once had (1), then did you remember what command is causing the GUI disappered?

3. Rebooting the device does not help, right?

What @wodgey said here is to ensure you can remote access the board as root. gdm3 and lightdm mentioned here are two different display managers. The GUI (e.g. ubuntu desktop) depends on these display manager to initiate. If gdm3 is not working, use command dpkg-reconfigure to change it to lightdm.

But before doing those commands, as I said, you have to at least find a way to open a terminal to control the board. This could be either the tty on monitor or the remote access method like ssh.

the password isn’t stored in plain text, it is hashed in /etc/passwd

HOWEVER – I am suggesting you change it yourself to something you know/can remember.

to do this, I would “chroot” into the filesystem on the sd card, as root. and then change the password for the user that you need to login as. I created a little script that I use for chrooting into my sd card which I will upload to pastebin.

once you chroot into the sd card using my script, you’ll effectively be root on that OS (and can do things like apt update && apt upgrade etc, as well as editting files etc)

once you gain root access, you can change the password for users using the “passwd” command. to change the password for the user called robert, you;d type “passwd robert” - it;s that simple.

after doing that, you should be able to login on your JEtson.

all the other suggestions I made would make life easier to login in the future so leave those for the time being

pastebin link —

just make sure to edit it to match your username (on your machine that you’re using) and the mount point for the sdcard. My username is roger and my sd card mounts to /media/roger/mmcblk0p1

if you need web access you’ll need to add a dns server to resolv.conf which can be done using
sudo echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf once you are in the chroot