Jetson NANO/XAVIER NX BOOT options

Hi,

I’m developing a system based on Jetson NANO/Xavier NX dev. kit. I would be happy to have two BOOT options: 1-from uSD, 2-from eMMC.
I should to let know the system what is boot source by(probably) one of GPIO state. I did not see any example and any discussion on the forum.
Could you let me know how to configure BOOT from different sources?

Thanks,
Andrey

Hi Andreay,

I just need to clarify one thing before answering your question. Why do you have a devkit module that has both emmc and sdcard? Where does this sdcard slot come from?

Hi,

I did not have devkit module with both eMMC and uSD, but only uSD. The module I have is standard Jetson NANO devkit. I making my own design with Jetson NANO based on devkit schematics. I would need to provide boot from the SD card for initial stage of SW development and then move to the eMMC boot at time the system would be delivered to customers.

Andrey

Hi,

Need to clarify one thing here. There are two kinds of module.
One is on your devkit which has sdcard slot but no emmc. Another one is called production module which is not sold along with the devkit. Production module only has emmc but no sdcard slot. The sdcard image you use on devkit is not working on production module.

All the product design documents on our download center are for the production module only.
You could not use the devkit module on custom carrier board.

Thus, the actual way other forum users are doing is design a carrier board with sdcard slot for their production module.

Hi,

I do have devkit module with uSD on it.

I designing my own carrier board, which would be used with production module (with eMMC) on it, but I would like to have the possibility to boot from uSD as well.

My initial question was if dual boot is possible and how to implement it. Based on DG-09693-001_v0.91 chapter 7 there is a possibility to connect external uSD-it is what I intended to do, however how can I let the system know what is boot source, eMMC or uSD in such case?

Thanks,
Andrey

Hi,

Okay I see. Sorry that I need to clarify that first because some users don’t know that they cannot use devkit module to do the customization.

Back to your question, the uboot in jetson nano bootloader has a a target device with order sdcard->emmc->usb ->net.

It would search the kernel and rootfs in those device. This order could be changed. However, the bootloader part is still on emmc. You cannot move it to sdcard.

Thank you.