Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit Boot from SD Card Issue

Hi

I’m currently facing an issue with my Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit, specifically related to booting from the SD card. The problem is that the device shuts down when attempting to boot from the SD card. Here are the steps I’ve followed:

1. I’m using a micro SD card with a capacity of 32 GB.
  2. I format the SD card using SD Card Formatter.
  3. I use Etcher to flash the SD card, trying both JP versions 5 and 6.
    downloaded from https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack
  4. I insert the flashed card into the Jetson and power it up.
  5. Upon booting, I received a message regarding the test key and starting boot from SD, followed by an immediate shutdown of the Jetson (the fan stopped).

I’m seeking assistance or advice on how to resolve this issue. If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has suggestions for troubleshooting, I’d greatly appreciate your input. Thank you in advance for your help!

I use this flow

There is no “Force Recovery Mode” here.

https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/jetson-orin-nano-devkit-user-guide/software_setup.html

I’m having the same problem. On the Orins, the QSPI (think BIOS) needs to be updated using the SDK_Manager software. This SDK_Manager software ONLY runs on the host machine, and is ONLY available for Linux. If it’s not updated, the machine thinks there’s no RAM.

UPDATE: Workaround found if you don’t have access to an Ubuntu machine to update the QSPI.

When the initial screen pops up while booting, hit “ESC” to get into the setup. Set up a RAM disk of some decent size. The system will then boot and run.

Having the exact same problem, do you have a link to instructions for how to set up a RAM disk? I am digging around in the menus that come up when you hit ESC and I can’t find anything.

ETA: I found the option right after posting. Entered 4000 for the size and things seem to have progressed … thanks!

Well was too confident. I got through ubuntu setup, it then prompted me to reboot and the “test key” error still shows up.

1 Like

I used 8000000 for the RAMDisk size. I suspect 4000 is too small to get it going. FWIW I have a 128GB SDCard in it.

The “Test Key” thing always shows up. It’s not supposed to be a problem.

Thanks! It turns out it did work but it shows the initial screen, seems to die, (screen goes dark and fan turns off,) but then it comes back after a bit and boots fine.

1 Like

Excellent! Glad it’s working.