License server fails to start

Hello I am trying to install the Nvidia License server on a Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit machine with no success. I already installed Java and Tomcat. Tomcat is running. I get the following information o the service:

flexnetls-nvidia.service - LSB: start and stop FlexNet License Server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/flexnetls-nvidia; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2016-11-25 13:55:31 CST; 1min 48s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 3087 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/flexnetls-nvidia start (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 25 13:54:30 UbuntuLicenseServer systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start and stop FlexNet License Server...
Nov 25 13:54:30 UbuntuLicenseServer flexnetls-nvidia[3087]: /etc/init.d/flexnetls-nvidia: line 656: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or dir
Nov 25 13:54:31 UbuntuLicenseServer flexnetls-nvidia[3087]: /etc/init.d/flexnetls-nvidia: line 421: daemon: command not found
Nov 25 13:54:31 UbuntuLicenseServer flexnetls-nvidia[3087]: Waiting for server to start up...
Nov 25 13:55:31 UbuntuLicenseServer flexnetls-nvidia[3087]: Service not started yet - slow startup?
Nov 25 13:55:31 UbuntuLicenseServer systemd[1]: flexnetls-nvidia.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=127
Nov 25 13:55:31 UbuntuLicenseServer systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start and stop FlexNet License Server.
Nov 25 13:55:31 UbuntuLicenseServer systemd[1]: flexnetls-nvidia.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 25 13:55:31 UbuntuLicenseServer systemd[1]: flexnetls-nvidia.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Update1:
Maybe Ubuntu is not the right server OS?

Thank you in advance.

Update:
I installed all the required components on CentOS 7 server but I still can’t get the service to start.

systemctl status flexnetls-nvidia.service
? flexnetls-nvidia.service - LSB: start and stop FlexNet License Server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/flexnetls-nvidia)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2016-11-25 17:44:14 CST; 1min 5s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 5094 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/flexnetls-nvidia start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 25 17:44:14 LicCentOS systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start and stop FlexNet License Server...
Nov 25 17:44:14 LicCentOS flexnetls-nvidia[5094]: JAVA_HOME directory (/usr/java1.8.0_111) does not exist. Stopping.
Nov 25 17:44:14 LicCentOS systemd[1]: flexnetls-nvidia.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Nov 25 17:44:14 LicCentOS systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start and stop FlexNet License Server.
Nov 25 17:44:14 LicCentOS systemd[1]: Unit flexnetls-nvidia.service entered failed state.
Nov 25 17:44:14 LicCentOS systemd[1]: flexnetls-nvidia.service failed.

Thank you in advance.

Hi

I’m not really a Linux guy, but I take it you’re following the License Server install guide? From what I can see, it’s using RHEL, no idea if there are any Linux disrto limitations, but I wouldn’t have thought so.

Regards

Ben

Right …

I’ve had a play with this and I’ve managed to make it work up to the point where I now need to allocate a license. No point in doing that, as there’s no need and I’m sure it will work.

As said, I’m not a Linux guy, but my working install is as follows:

Also using CentOS 7. When installing I’ve selected "Server with GUI" and "Java Platform". If you’re good with Linux, you probably won’t want a GUI.

When the install completes, install the hypervisor tools (I’m using ESXi, so I’ve installed VMTools).

Following the NVIDIA License Server install guide, but there are a couple of file name changes so I’ve detailed exactly what I’ve typed below. The install guide is located in the Windows License Server .zip file, not the Linux.

Open Terminal:

Validating the Java Run-time install (selected when installing CentOS): java -version

Install Tomcat & WebApps: sudo yum install tomcat tomcat-webapps

Enable Tomcat service for automatic start: sudo systemctl enable tomcat.service

Start Tomcat Service: sudo systemctl start tomcat.service

Check to make sure Tomcat is running: http://localhost:8080

Download Linux License Server from NVIDIA: https://nvidia.flexnetoperations.com

Extract it: tar xfz NVIDIA-ls-linux-2015.12-0001.tgz

Install it: sudo ./setup.bin

Accept the default, enable the management port - Finish

Let me know how you get on

Regards

Ben

Thank you for your help! I got it up and running! I think my mistake was that I installed the Java rpm from Oracle.