Low performance in DOOM Eternal

im experiencing the same vram behavior and performance issue that was described in this post

since this post is dead i made a new one

i have the lastest nvidia release.
this bug should have been fixed since 440.66.07 but the bug still pessist on my nvidia 1050 4gb (laptop non ti)
im currently running 460.39.1 and i also tested 455.46.02 (vulkan dev branch) and the issue still pessist
when i launch the game nvidia smi report a vram usage of around 400-500MB and this amount stay the same even in game and the performance is very bad (the game do report the 4Gb of vram avaliable of my 1050)

the strangest thing is that the game evaluate the amout of vram i should be using and it’s around 3GBnvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.2 MB)

when i took this screen shot the game had just exited the menu je gpu graph is not updater normaly it’s stuck to 100% usage
this one show the gpu graph correctly
screen 2

I think there is something wrong with those gpu’s on Linux driver. I also have one and has a weird problem that NV QA apparently can’t repro.

1 Like

im going to install doom 2016 to see if i have the bug on it

Maybe some round-up of the known infos of this bug:
AFAIK, Doom Eternal uses (slow) system memory instead of vmem when run on nvidia.
So Nvidia did this:

2020-04-07 version 440.82
    * Added a workaround for Steam Play title DOOM Eternal, which overrides
      application requested memory locations, to ensure performance-critical
      resources be placed in video memory.

Some versions later, this showed up:

2020-09-17 version 455.23.04
    * Added support for a new device-local VkMemoryType which is host-coherent
      and host-visible. This may result in improved performance in some
      applications. Applications which are known to benefit from this new
      VkMemoryType include: DXVK Title DiRT Rally 2.0, Steam Play Title
      DOOM: Eternal, and DXVK title World of Warcraft.

IDK, but the latter one looks to me like this has to be implemented in the application, in this case dxvk/vk3d (whichever one Doom uses, or does it use vulkan directly?)
So maybe the workaround was v440 exclusive?

1 Like

That is native Vulkan.

So maybe the workaround was v440 exclusive?

Not possible. That workaround will always be needed unless app side fixes it’s behaviour.

1 Like

Yes, feared so. Though rather puzzles me why this is only happening with the Linux driver and not on Windows, if Doom’s using Vulkan natively.

1 Like

i almost finished downloading doom 2016 but i decided to look at what Vulkanguy pointed out
and doom eternal report 4342MB of vram so there is a problem there

i have the same bug on doom 2016 exept that it runs at 1-20fps
BUT it use way more vram still report the wrong number and is unplayable

Clearly there is something wrong with GTX 1050 4 GB Mobile but since @amrits tries to repro with a GTX 1650 he is not able to repro.

1 Like

i found something interesting in doom 2016 if i switch to nvidia only (disable offload) i get adequate frame rate, but the vram still display wrong so i don’t think this isn’t the issue.

but doom eternal is still unplayable
i tried to uninstall lib32-vulkan-intel and vulkan-intel from my system but no changes.

i just noticed that dmesg report
nvidiafb: unknown NV_ARCH

nvidiafb should be blacklisted when the nvidia driver is installed.

1 Like

thanks i no longer have the error but no luck for the game tho

Having the same issue on my RTX 2060 max-q. Using the nvidia 460.39-6 driver.

Yep there definitely is a problem, I mentioned that it was still an issue months ago:

2080 Super Max-Q here

the is not improvement with the lastest driver 460.56

I too am having this issue on 460.56 on a 2070 Super. Reverting to 450.106 changes nothing. So this definitely came earlier. This is with & without steam overlay. Everything attempted so far:

• Different kernel versions (5.8 & 5.11)
  • Different Proton versions (5.0, 5.13, GE 5.9 & 6.1)
  • Different drivers (450 & 460)
  • Various nvidia settings
  • Various game settings
  • Steam overlay on/off

nvidia-smi shows the ~850MB usage (by Doom Eternal) others are seeing. System monitor shows ~2GB usage while the game thinks it’s using 6GB of VRAM with all settings maxed.

And you are on a desktop system or Optimus?

Desktop, no other card.

I have filed a bug 200713923 internally for tracking purpose.
Will keep updated on it, Thanks.

1 Like