M.2 Key M support?

Hi all

I am currently building a device with Jetson TX1, but the problem is that I don’t know how to design the circuit for SAMSUNG 960 EVO, which is an M.2 Key M slot SSD.

I am a grade 3 university student, as a result there are some complex hardware stuff I don’t know. While many of them can be solved regarding to the carrier board design files and other documentations, the M.2 Key M remains a problem. So I wonder if there is any documentation regarding to this?

I know there are some 3d-party carrier boards that support M.2 Key M SSD, but since the designs are not open, I still don’t know how to do this…

The slot for M.2 on the development carrier board is key “e”, so a key “m” won’t work with this. M.2 has certain trace designations where using a wrong device which still fits won’t cause electrical damage, but function will fail. There are PCIe carrier cards which might work as an adapter to key “m”, though I have no experience with any (I don’t have an SSD :).

Hi, linuxdev, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, the slot on the development carrier board is a Key E slot, that is mainly why I don’t know how to design a Key M slot. I am now developing a new small size carrier board with some specified functionalities, so some other carrier boards may not work, even if they have direct Key M slot support.

I am now checking documentations of M.2, hope that works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2 is actually a good place to start…it references other material.

Have you found any more information on this?

I am also attempting to add a PCIe x4 M.2 socket to my board. I happened to have a Samsung 960 EVO in my PC on an adapter, so I started by following the traces from the PCIe standard slot to where they go on the M.2: the PEX lanes take up basically the whole odd side of the M.2 slot.

Now I am attempting to figure out the even side, such as where the PEX Clock Request and SMBus connections go, as well as whatever else is on the even side.

Let me know if you need a PCB designer to help you with the layout.