New CUDA on WSL2 WIP driver 470.14 is now live!

All,

Our latest WSL WIP driver 470.14 is now available for download.

Please register for the NVIDIA Developer Program and the Microsoft Windows Insider Program , to access the driver installers and documentation from the Downloads area on our CUDA on WSL webpage.

Our user guide and blog links below, contain valuable information to aid you to learn how CUDA works with WSL, including how to get started with running applications, and deep learning containers.

We encourage all of our developers to use our Forum for sharing their experience with the larger WSL community.

1 Like

Is nvidia-smi broken? I’m on an AMD build with 2060 Super. Windows Insider 21343 (updated today) and 470.14.

I copied nvidia-sma to /usr/bin as instructed. When run, I get:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Failed to properly shut down NVML: Driver Not Loaded

4 Likes

I have the same issue as well. Seems to be a bug as multiple reinstalls/downgrades don’t fix the issue.

2 Likes

I’m also experiencing nvidia-smi reporting the same error message.

Windows Insider 2143.rs_prerelease.210320-1757
Nvidia driver 470.14
GeForce RTX 3090

Of note, I can build and run /usr/local/cuda/samples/4_Finance/BlackScholes just fine and it produces output in-line with what is expected, implying the driver is actually there and available.

It’s the same with me

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I’m on:
Windows 10 Insider Preview OS Build 21343.1000
NVIDIA Driver 470.14
NVIDIA GeForce MX150

This driver is not working correctly Nvidia please fix it ASAP.

2 Likes

Specific issue: 470.14 - WSL with W10 Build 21343 - NVIDIA-SMI error

1 Like

Yep, same issue.

• RTX 3060, driver 470.14
  • Windows Insider 21343
  • Ubuntu 18.04 LTS,
  • Tried CUDA Toolkit 11.1.1 and CUDA Toolkit 11.2
    I followed this tutorial: CUDA on WSL :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation, BlackScholes sample works fine - no errors, but
    nvidia-smi and sudo docker run --rm --gpus all nvidia/cuda:11.1-base nvidia-smi returns:
    Reinstalling the drivers, Ubuntu, CUDA Toolkits also didn’t work.
4 Likes

I seem to be getting some very bad flickering in my Valve Index making it unusable. Is there a way to rollback to a previous WSL driver to test? I can’t seem to find a download archive anywhere.

Just rolled back to 465.21. Valve Index is now usable again!

On Windows 21337.

I have the exact same issue .I have RTX 3060 and Windows Preview 21359 .
nvidia-smi

It seems the driver for WSL doesnt work with nvidia .
Is there any fix for this .I’ve trying for days

Thanks

1 Like

Is anyone else experiencing very degraded gaming performance with this driver? I’m averaging around 80-90 FPS on MORDHAU versus 200-250 on the old 466.11 driver

I still get the error message “Failed to properly shut down NVML: Driver Not Loaded”.
It seems this driver is NOT fixing the problem.
Please fix it or provide work around!

Windows Version; 21382,1000

nvidia-smi doesn’t work, but if you go to /usr/local/cuda/samples and build any of the samples, you should find that it runs successfully. I usually test on devceQuery.

That said, I assume you also need the latest Windows Insider version which, as of today 2021-05-27, is 21390.