New TX2 User can't login

I recently created a new user for a coworker. He is able to ssh into the TX2, but cannot login from the Ubuntu login page (after a restart, for example).

The output of his .xsession-error file is:

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 35
Current serial number in output stream: 36
openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
upstart: Failed to spawn window-stack-bridge main process: unable to execute: No such file or directory
upstart: gnome-session (Unity) main process (1621) terminated with status 1
upstart: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
upstart: logrotate main process (1461) killed by TERM signal
upstart: update-notifier-crash (/var/crash/_usr_bin_compiz.1002.crash) main process (1513) killed by TERM signal
upstart: update-notifier-crash (/var/crash/_usr_lib_gnuplot5_gnuplot_qt.1002.crash) main process (1522) killed by TERM signal
upstart: bamfdaemon main process (1613) killed by TERM signal
upstart: unity-panel-service main process (1635) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-bluetooth main process (1672) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-power main process (1673) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-datetime main process (1677) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-keyboard main process (1685) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-printers main process (1688) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-session main process (1689) killed by TERM signal
upstart: indicator-sound main process (1686) killed by TERM signal

The output of uname -a is:

Linux tegra-ubuntu 4.4.15-tegra #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 1 21:09:29 PST 2017 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I did a little googling and I believe the problem may be related to a video driver.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

In the release notes (http://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/L4T/r27_Release_v1.0/Docs/Tegra_Linux_Driver_Package_Release_Notes_R27.1.pdf?autho=1491585366_aebc3976a24d1144aab16eba6868d822&file=Tegra_Linux_Driver_Package_Release_Notes_R27.1.pdf ) I remember seeing this:

2.3 NEW USERS MUST BE ADDED TO VIDEO GROUP
When adding users to the system you must add them to the video group for the Linux desktop to appear and function correctly.

Thanks!

just unboxed a shiny new TX2 … but alas can’t login to the desktop ui with any user, including ‘nvidia’ and ‘ubuntu’

~nvidia/.xsession-errors

upstart: Failed to spawn window-stack-bridge main process: unable to execute: No such file or directory
upstart: gnome-session (Unity) main process (1530) terminated with status 1

same situation for newly created users, even when adding them to the group ‘video’

thoughts?

• james

Have you tried downloading the Jetpack 3.0 software and flashing the board?

ahhh egad … that i have not done :(

just finished doing that with the tk1 a few days back.

side question: i see the tk2 in the jetpack install tool, any ideas on when tk2 is available for purchase?

much appreciated!

• james

I believe the order of release is:
TK1
TX1
TX2

-Lance

Also-
Beware that using the Jetpack installer will break your apt-get update functionality on the host computer. I don’t know when NVIDIA is going to fix that, but it is a problem… I must decide if I am willing to reinstall my o/s so I can access some new hardware… :<

thx … i am running the jetpack installer via a virtualbox trusty box. so the damage blast radius will be contained :)

i believe i almost had a docker container install but ran into remote-display issues (which i think i can solve) and configuring the macos (host os) usb device to the jetson container via 'docker run --device…"

so at this point i fell back to macos -> virtualbox -> trusty for jetpack flashing.

i assume i am not alone in such configurations? would love to close the above gap as having a docker container would allow us to chain the jetson board into an automation docker-swarm build pipeline, just as we do for the rest of our s/w stack.

best,

• james

thx, i misspoke re a tx2 model … this produce line is new to me.

thx for the suggestions!

flashing jetpack to the tx2 atm.

best,

• james

k got jetpack flashed and i can log in now.

thx!

the flashing process did not complete cleanly though. it hung with the following message:

“Determing the IP address of target…”

i will likely try to reflash once i test out some other items.

thx again,

• james

If IP address can’t be determined, then there is no harm to flash…what would fail is that extra packages couldn’t be added. You can run JetPack after a flash and just do package management without flashing a second time…so you might re-run JetPack, but avoid re-flash during the second run.

perfect.

post flash i was able to log/ssh in and the board had ips both wired and wifi.

so i will rerun jetpack flash per your advice.

thx!

• james

got the extra-packages installed.

thx again!

• james