nsight crashes during startup

(Previously accidentally posted on Visual Studio Edition forum)

A small dialog appears with the message “an error has occurred. see the log file null” (I don’t know where to find said null file) and the console message

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
CompileCommand: exclude java/lang/reflect/Array.newInstance
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.<init>(Storage.java:97)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.createStorage(Storage.java:84)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainer.<init>(EquinoxContainer.java:75)
at org.eclipse.osgi.launch.Equinox.<init>(Equinox.java:31)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(EclipseStarter.java:295)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:231)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:563)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:648)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:603)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1465)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1438)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InaccessibleObjectException: Unable to make protected void java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL) accessible: module java.base does not "opens java.net" to unnamed module @7e9a5fbe
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.checkCanSetAccessible(AccessibleObject.java:337)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.checkCanSetAccessible(AccessibleObject.java:281)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.checkCanSetAccessible(Method.java:197)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.setAccessible(Method.java:191)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller.findMethod(FrameworkExtensionInstaller.java:52)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller.findMethod(FrameworkExtensionInstaller.java:59)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller.findAddURLMethod(FrameworkExtensionInstaller.java:43)
at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller.<clinit>(FrameworkExtensionInstaller.java:37)
... 14 more

What might be the cause of this crash?

Ironically my previous version of nsight for cuda 7.5 works. I surmize that nsight for cuda 8 (recently installed) is trying to use the configs of the previous nsight. If this is indeed the problem, where might I find the config directory?

Hi, Olumide

Can you provide the general steps that can trigger the “dialog” you mentioned.
Also the environment you are using, like OS/Toolkit installed(7.5 and 8.0?)

Problem solved. Turns out that I was using Java 9 (which eclipse does not yet support) instead of Java 8. Note that Open JDK did not work. I had to use Java 8 Oracle.