NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver after updating Ubuntu 20.04

I have an Ubuntu 20.04 system which has been working perfectly with an nvidia 1080Ti card.

I recently allowed the software updater on ubuntu to install some pending updates and my nvidia card stopped working.

I did not upgrade to ubuntu-20.04 from a previous version of ubuntu. This system has been running ubuntu-20.04 for a while with no issues, and I just allowed some updates to be installed.

Only one of my three attached monitors works now and when I run the nvidia-settings app, I get a small blank screen instead of seeing the nvidia settings listed.

I think this is because nvidia driver is not loading anymore :

$ sudo prime-select query
nvidia

$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Here is some additional information which may assist in diagnosing what is wrong:

$ dkms status
nvidia, 460.39, 5.8.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
virtualbox, 6.1.16, 5.8.0-44-generic, x86_64: installed
virtualbox, 6.1.16, 5.8.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed

$ grep -r nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist nvidiafb

uname -a
Linux shed-ubuntu 5.8.0-45-generic #51~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 23 13:46:31 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I am attaching debug logs:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (106.1 KB)

Please run

grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*

to find a file containing

blacklist nvidia

and remove it,
then run

sudo update-initramfs -u

and reboot.

Thank you for the quick response. I showed the output of grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/* in the original post.

This is what the grep finds: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist nvidiafb

Is it correct to remove (or comment out) that entry, update the ramfs and reboot?

That file has to stay where it is.
The driver is installed and avalable, it just doesn’t load. Please try updating the initrd
sudo update-initramfs -u
Can you manually load the driver?
sudo modprobe nvidia

I tried:

sudo update-initramfs -u
sync
reboot

and it had no effect (no difference in behavior).

I then tried:

$ sudo modprobe nvidia
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Key was rejected by service

Please removing and adding the modules:

sudo dkms remove nvidia/460.39 --all
sudo dkms install nvidia/460.39 -k $(uname -r)
sudo update-initramfs -u

@generix - thank you very much for your help. Your instructions above for removing and re-installing the nvidia kernel modules worked for me.

I did make one change to the commands you cited above.
When I ran the dkms install command, I got quite a few messages like this:

Good news! Module version 460.39 for nvidia.ko
exactly matches what is already found in kernel 5.8.0-45-generic.
DKMS will not replace this module.
You may override by specifying --force.

So I decided to install the kernel modules using the --force option to make sure they got updated. That seemed to work. Here are the commands that I ran:

sudo dkms remove nvidia/460.39 --all
sudo dkms install --force nvidia/460.39 -k $(uname -r)
sudo update-initramfs -u
sync
reboot

Thank you again for all of your help!