OpenXR support in CloudXR?

I’m currently looking at a Unity project that uses the XR Plug-in Management to support VR devices. I’ve also read that Valve is committed to phasing out OpenVR in favor of OpenXR. Will CloudXR be moving to OpenXR at any point? If so, getting this app to support CloudXR would be just a matter of clicking a checkbox in Unity.

What is the checkbox you would click? :-)

As far as I’ve understood, SteamVR should be able to act as an OpenXR driver and support XR apps. I don’t know that we’ve tried running a unity openxr app against steamvr, with a cloudxr client, to see if it all works end to end.

General OpenXR support is certainly on the longer-term roadmap, I don’t have any specifics beyond that.

This checkbox here!

Maybe we should give that a try then & see how it works with SteamVR and possibly CloudXR?

Update: It worked! It was a bit more complicated than just checking that box. But doing that, setting Steam VR as the preferred runtime, and clicking through some other incompatible settings got this app to work with CloudXR!

4 Likes

hey todd, can u make a tutorial teaching how to set cloudXR in unity? I’m really struggling here, thanks

I don’t know if I’ll have time to do that, but the key piece of information is to set your preferred runtime to SteamVR. See screenshot. Once you do that, there are some other Unity settings required to get the build to work, but I don’t recall what they are. I’m not 100% sure on this, but I might have had to change the scripting backend to Mono.

thanks man, this will help a lot