PG FORTRAN .dlls on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

I am using Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 with the 64-bit version of PG FORTRAN Version 14.3. I have a solution that includes a number of FORTRAN .dll projects that executes fine on my Windows machine.

When I deploy to our production server, which runs Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, the application reports "Unable to load DLL ‘xxx.dll’. The specified module could not be found’ Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E.

I’ve installed the Windows 8.1 SDK on the server and have copied the runtime .dlls from REDIST over with the solution.

Has anybody had similar problems with this configuration?

I wrote a 1-line console application and tested it on this server and am receiving similar errors. The application crashes on startup. I’m sure I’m missing some installation files.

I was able to correct this problem by changing the “Target Processor” property from the default values to “Generic x86”. The server in question has XEON processors.

Hi Hank,

It’s most likely a problem with AVX. Early Windows releases didn’t support the instructions and would cause crashes. As you discovered, the solution is to target an older processer, though, you most likely could use “Penryn” instead of “Generic x86” which will disable many useful optimizations.

• Mat