Random freezes + reboots after upgrading to 4080

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (552.3 KB)

Problem:
I recently upgraded to a 4080, but while the card is installed my system will often freeze and reboot during light usage (web browsing, etc.) and during memory tests.

• Most common issue is the system will briefly freeze (unresponsive to keyboard/mouse) and after a few seconds, the display will turn off, the computer fans run at maximum, while the motherboard DRAM light begins shining solid orange. This essentially always happens when I try to run a memory test.
    • timing of the freeze / reboot is inconsistent, but I noticed that if I turn off the power supply and turn it back on it tends to last a bit longer without issues, but if I simply turn the computer on again immediately, it will have issues much sooner
  • The system occasionally freezes while I am in BIOS setup.
  • Once, when XMP was enabled, the computer froze completely during a memory test. On force shutdown / reboot, the CPU light held solid red and there was no display. On turning off the power supply and rebooting again, everything was back to normal (as in, the normal inconsistent freezing issues, etc.)

Build:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
    • tried rebuilding the PC, replacing the motherboard with a fresh version of the same model. still had same issues.
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000MHz
    • tried reinstalling, only installing one stick at a time, switching slots, etc
  • Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
    • used to be: EVGA SC GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card
    • no issues when I go back to using the 1060
  • Corsair RM850 (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    • checked with PSU tester, looked fine
    • also tried: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G7. same issues.

What I’ve tried:

• clean install of drivers, version 525. tried both apt-get and through pop shop
  • new motherboard, new PSU
  • XMP enabled and disabled
  • memtester
    • everything OK with 1060, system always freezes or reboots during the test while 4080 installed

Rather looks like some mainboard incompatibility, please check for a bios update, try lowering pcie gen in bios, if possible.