Repeated flashing errors with Jetpack 4.5 and Jetpack 4.4 on Tx2

Hi

I keep getting flash errors with Jetpack
09:17:49 SUMMARY: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: Install completed successfully.

09:17:56 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [error]: : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh; [error]:

09:17:56 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: command terminated with error

09:17:56 SUMMARY: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: First Error: Installation failed.

I tried installing 4.5, that didn’t work.
Then tried with 4.4, that didn’t work either.

Spent a whole night on this and nothing works :(

You’d probably need to include more of the flash log since that’s just a summary that “something failed”. The actual failure would be somewhere earlier in logs.

However, in general, some issues occur more often than others. Is your host an actual Ubuntu 18.04 PC, or is it a VM? Also, are you sure the TX2 was in recovery mode using the supplied micro-B USB cable? Is this a devkit, or a commercial module with third party carrier board?

If you hold down the recovery button, and either turn on power, or cycle power, you can then let go of the recovery button and the TX2 will be in recovery mode. Note that you can uncheck adding optional packages and disabling any host PC optional packages as well, and leave only the flash step enabled to simplify flash. Normally options are handled after flash is complete by use of ssh, which implies flash could work perfectly, but if first boot setup (the TX2 automatically reboots as flash completes) fails, then ssh cannot succeed, and optional package install would fail even though flash itself succeed. If flash works and first boot setup is complete, you can then run optional package installs after unchecking flash and fully booting the Jetson (without recovery mode).

Hi Linuxdev

Thanks for your reply.
Host is Ubuntu 16.04 (No VM) and i am trying to flash a Jetson Tx2 mounted on the devkit
I verified that the Tx2 is in recovery mode, by typing
lsusb
Which showed an nvidia device 0955:7c18 which according to this forum means it’s in recovery mode.
However the complete flash logs (below) indicate that it’s unable to detect the device. (SDK manager detects the device just fine)
Info: [host] [ Disk Avail:661.47 GB ]
Info: change working directory to /home/srinath/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra
Info: [ Component Install Started ]
Info: current working directory is /home/srinath/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra
Info: exec_command [host]:

#!/bin/bash
set -e
set -e
if [ -e ./bootloader/system.img ]; then
echo sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
else
echo sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
fi
sleep 20

Info: exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh
###############################################################################

L4T BSP Information:

R32 , REVISION: 4.3

Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
USB port and is in recovery mode.
Info: [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
Info: [host] [ 12.00 KB used. Disk Avail: 661.47 GB ]
Info: [ NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP Install took 6s ]
Error: [error]: : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh; [error]:

Incidentally i don’t get a qemu error with Jetpack 4.4 so i will stick with 4.4 for further testing.

Restarted the installation today.
verified the device is in recovery mode.
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp.

I kept getting an error this time that the flashing is taking too long. Kept

saying yes, but it remained at 0%
After waiting about 5-10 mins for it to do something i aborted.
Error log seems the same as posted earlier. But the following information displayed in the terminal may be useful…

09:52:12 INFO: Multimedia API - target: Found file /home/srinath/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/nvidia-l4t-jetson-multimedia-api_32.4.3-20200625213407_arm64.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

09:52:18 INFO: TensorRT on Target - target: Found file /home/srinath/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/libnvinfer-samples_7.1.3-1+cuda10.2_all.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

09:52:22 INFO: CUDA Toolkit for L4T - target: Found file /home/srinath/Downloads/nvidia/sdkm_downloads/cuda-repo-l4t-10-2-local-10.2.89_1.0-1_arm64.deb with correct checksum, skip downloading.

09:58:39 SUMMARY: VPI on Target - target: Depends on failed component

09:58:39 DEBUG: running command < true >

09:58:40 INFO: command finished successfully

09:58:40 DEBUG: running command < ps aux | grep NV_DEVICE_MODE_SETUP_IMAGE_COMP | grep -v grep | awk ‘{print $2}’ | xargs kill -9 >

09:58:40 INFO: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `&&’

09:58:40 ERROR: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: command terminated with error

I see on this forum that someone enabled flashing with the command
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

But this seems a very unsafe thing to do to the host machine.
ls -lh /var/lib/dpkg/lock
-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Jul 17 09:27 /var/lib/dpkg/lock
After verifying with vim that the file was empty i went ahead and removed it. Rebooting host. Let’s see how it goes.

Rebooted, verified that the file is indeed gone
ls: cannot access ‘/var/lib/dpkg/lock’: No such file or directory
Device remains in recovery mode

But no matter how many times i say “yes”, it remains at 0%, till the next popup window

Honestly, when you hit error, check your log and see what does it say.

I don’t think you really put the device into recovery mode… as below log shows, the board is not in recovery mode.

lsusb showing “nvidia” does not 100% represent your board is in recovery mode after rel-32… You better telling me what are your steps to put it into recovery…

Steps that i’ve been using to go into recovery mode…

1. Disconnect power supply
  2. Connect usb cable
  3. Press power button
  4. Hold down recovery button
  5. Press reset button
  6. Release recovery button after 2 secs
    Check output of lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp.

When did you release the reset button?

Before releasing the recovery button

Please change your step to below and show me the full log.

1. Disconnect power supply
  2. Connect the power supply
  3. Press the recovery button
  4. Press the power button
  5. Release the power button
  6. Release the recovery button.

This is another method that does not need reset button. Please try it and dump log.
Recovery mode only takes one time effect. For example, if you put it into rcm, but flash somehow fails, then you have to put it into RCM again. Thus, please do share the full log each time.

Thanks,
Tried the flashing procedure you described above. This time it didn’t keep “trying” to flash, but said almost immediately that there was a flash error.
Here are the logs
Info: [host] [ Disk Avail:660.70 GB ]
Info: change working directory to /home/srinath/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra
Info: [ Component Install Started ]
Info: current working directory is /home/srinath/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra
Info: exec_command [host]:

#!/bin/bash
set -e
set -e
if [ -e ./bootloader/system.img ]; then
echo sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
sudo ./flash.sh --no-systemimg jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
else
echo sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
fi
sleep 20

Info: exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh

L4T BSP Information:

R32 , REVISION: 4.3

Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
USB port and is in recovery mode.
Info: [ Component Install Finished with Error ]
Info: [host] [ 20.00 KB used. Disk Avail: 660.70 GB ]
Info: [ NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP Install took 9s ]
Error: [error]: : [exec_command]: /bin/bash -c /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh; [error]:

How many TX2 devices do you have?
And how many ubuntu hosts are available on your side?

Also, can you connect a monitor on your TX2 or below cable to dump the uart log?

For the monitor case, just make sure it doesn’t light up after you put TX2 into RCM. When board is in RCM, no OS should be running.

Here is the terminal display after another attempt
11:12:23 INFO: File System and OS - target_image: command finished successfully

11:12:24 SUMMARY: File System and OS - target_image: Install completed successfully.

11:12:24 INFO: Start to check if only one device connected…

11:12:24 DEBUG: running command < true >

11:12:24 INFO: command finished successfully

11:12:24 DEBUG: running command < [ lsusb | grep -c "0955:" -ne 1 ] >

11:12:24 DEBUG: command terminated with error

11:12:24 INFO: Only one NVIDIA device detected, as expected.

11:12:24 INFO: Start to check if in device recovery mode…

11:12:24 DEBUG: running command < lsusb | grep 0955:7020 >

11:12:24 DEBUG: command terminated with error

11:12:24 INFO: Jetson device is in recovery mode.

11:12:24 INFO: Start to check if the right device connected…

11:12:24 DEBUG: running command < lsusb | grep -E ‘0955:7c18’ >

11:12:25 INFO: Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp.

11:12:25 INFO: command finished successfully

11:12:25 INFO: Verified, 0955:7c18 detected in recovery mode.

11:12:25 DEBUG: running command < true >

11:12:25 INFO: command finished successfully

11:12:25 DEBUG: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: using adapter to install NV_DEVICE_MODE_SETUP_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_TX2 to /home/srinath/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2

11:12:27 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: Installing component ‘Device Mode Host Setup in Flash’ (NV_DEVICE_MODE_SETUP_IMAGE_COMP)

11:12:27 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_DEVICE_MODE_SETUP_IMAGE_COMP.sh

11:12:27 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: Found route default wlp1s0, setting up device mode

11:12:27 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

11:12:28 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: Device mode on host successfuly set with DNS 8.8.8.8!

11:12:28 INFO: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: command finished successfully

11:12:28 SUMMARY: Device Mode Host Setup in Flash - flash: Install completed successfully.

11:12:28 DEBUG: running command < true >

11:12:28 INFO: command finished successfully

11:12:28 DEBUG: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: using adapter to install NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_TX2 to /home/srinath/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.4_Linux_JETSON_TX2

11:12:28 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: exec_command: /tmp/tmp_NV_L4T_FLASH_TX2_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP.sh

11:12:28 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

11:12:28 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: # L4T BSP Information:

11:12:28 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: ###############################################################################

11:12:34 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: USB port and is in recovery mode.

11:12:34 INFO: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: [ Component Install Finished with Error ]

11:12:34 ERROR: Flash Jetson TX2 - flash: command terminated with error

11:12:35 SUMMARY: VPI on Target - target: Depends on failed component

Error log remains the same

I mean connecting the monitor to the TX2, not the host. The host error log is always the same that it says the TX2 does not in recovery mode at all.

Thus, what I want to make sure is whether your board is still booting or not. If it is booting, then monitor shall give you something, if it is in RCM, then it shouldn’t boot so monitor shall be blanked. Though the UART method should be more precise than using a monitor.

Hi Wayne

Monitor is connected to Tx2, Monitor remains blank.
If i switch the monitor on/off it goes blank (power saving) because no signal is detected.

I have 1 Ubuntu 16.04 Host, 1 Ubuntu 20.04 (VM) running on Windows host, 1 Tx2.
All steps detailed above have been done with Ubuntu 16.04 Host.

Do you want me to connect via putty to Tx2 ?
I have a ftdi cable.

You can try to set up the ftdi cable and boot up the device first to know what would be printed out from it.

After you do the recovery mode step, you shouldn’t see anything printed from it.

For flash problem that cannot detect recovery mode, my suggestion is try with more host, usb cable and tx2 boards.

We do have some cases that changing usb cable and host can resolve the problem. But that needs to be done after we are sure your board is in RCM.

Ok. Very strange.
No response from putty at all. Refuses to connect.
Pls see screenshots

Scanned_20210718-1238.pdf (160.5 KB)

Can you try to use minicom or picocom to open it?

Also, is your TX2 powered on?

Yes the Tx2 is powered on
No luck with minicom either. Will try with a different ftdi cable tomorrow
I think my serial connections are correct. Could you check the pics again ?

Just want to know, is this TX2 a new one? Did you ever turn on and see the ubuntu desktop over this TX2 before?