"System throttled due to Over-current."

I’m using a Jetson Nano Developer Kit B01 with a fresh install of Jetpack 4.4.1.
It’s powered through the barrel connector, using a 5.15V, 4A USB power brick.

Immediately after displaying the Desktop, a notification appears that says “System throttled due to Over-current.”

After acknowledging the warning, it disappears.
In the 10W power mode (“MAXN”), even just opening a Terminal window will bring the warning back.

The Nano consumes ~0.7A - 0.9A. Powering through the microUSB-Port does not change the behaviour.

I do not have a way know if the performance is actually reduced, yet.

6 Likes

hello couka,

there’s a built-in under voltage and over current protection mechanism.
please refer to developer guide, you may check Under Voltage and Over Current Protection session for more details.
you may also access TegraX1 Technical Reference Manual from download center,
please refer to Chapter-40, [Thermal sensor and thermal throttling controller] for the behavior of over-current detection.
thanks

1 Like

Hello JerryChang,

I read through the resources you mentioned. Unfortunately I’m still clueless whether there is something wrong with my unit.

Is there a standardized, quantifiable method to verify the performance of the Jetson Nano?

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

The issue here is NOT an overcurrent condition. It’s undervoltage. The notification is misleading.

I finally got around to put a scope on the barrel jack input and found the cause: Both my microUSB and my barrel jack cable just were too long/low crossection to deliver enough current while staying within voltage spec. As a result, the voltage dropped from 5.17V to just 4.70V at a current of less than 1.0A.
I shortened my cable as much as possible, the voltage now stays >4.9V and the notification seems to be gone for good.

My guess is that the notification is triggered by the Kernel warning “OC ALARM 0x00000001”, which could signify over-current, but more commonly it’s triggered by under-voltage, and some developer just assumed “OC” always means “Over-current”.

7 Likes

I have the same issue, I use an AC adaptor (5V-3A) connected to USB-C (Jetson Nano 2GB) and the notification appears while running an Object detection model so I suppose as @couka said that is an under-voltage problem due to high requirements of the model.

@lrondan95 Thanks for confirming the issue. I can confirm the notification has not reappeared since I started using short (10cm), beefy (1,5mm²) wires and a stable 5.2V power source.

1 Like

Hi people.

I was also having the same problem, in my case, I was using a 5V 5A power supply.

With no load, the power supply has 5.2v with a 0.200V decay, when I turn on the card everything works properly without over current or low voltage warnings.

But when I test the detectnet program with the camera on, the warnings of overcurrent or voltage come up.

I did a stress analysis. I tested other sources, and I identified that from the Barrel jack connector to the bottom of the TPS25944L the Efuse has an RDSon of 0.042mOhm which in total gives a voltage drop of about 200 to 400mV. and if we have an exact 5V supply when we use all the resources of the board the voltage drops to 4.6V which makes the protection act, and the kernel notification is presented.

I made some changes to the source, and I changed the voltage output to 5.3V with that ended the notifications, when I use the detecnet program the voltage of the source drops to 4.9v. which is still within the range of the board.

I would advise using 5.5v 3A sources, or greater than 3A. The TPS25944L accepts this voltage level and the other dc/dc and regulators as well.

I hope this helps, others who also have this same problem.

See you soon.

9 Likes

I was getting the same notification [“System throttled due to Over-current.”]

I am wondering if the cables I am using are way to thin (24AWG). These do not seem to have any issues powering the Xavier NX @ 12V. However, at lower volts perhaps the current (Amps) needed is higher.

Also, I needed to remove the desktop from the Nano cause it takes too much resources and now I am wondering if there is a way to monitor these notifications from the command line.

Thanks for any help.

2 Likes

I am grateful for your support
I am using right in the moment a 5 V power supply with a current range of 2,5V. Using those parameters allowed me to use the maximal power (10W) on my new jetson nano without any problem now

1 Like

I would like a support,
I am using a jetson nano together with a camera, lcd screen and 2 sensors, the system is powered by a 5.5v 20A switching source.
When running an algorithm the system is not stable, it also generates this error “system throttling due to over current” and the equipment shuts down.
How can I solve it, and tried with power supplies but it still fails.

1 Like

Hi fg12,

Please help to open a new topic if it’s still an issue.

Thanks