The best choice for buying a DELL laptop for running CUDA any suggestions?

Hi,

What is the best DELL laptop in which I can do CUDA applications? What graphics card can I use? GeForce?

I need to buy a DELL lapton and a graphics card within it, any suggestions?

Thanks

I don’t have any specific Dell suggestions, but any GeForce 8 or later card (i.e. basically all NVIDIA cards in new computers) will run CUDA.

I don’t have any specific Dell suggestions, but any GeForce 8 or later card (i.e. basically all NVIDIA cards in new computers) will run CUDA.

What do you mean by “best”? If you just want the most powerful graphics card for CUDA, go for one of the bigger, gaming-oriented models. Otherwise, like seibert said, any of them with an nVidia card should be fine for CUDA development. Keep in mind that even the most powerful mobile chip (currently the 480M) is going to be (at best) comparable to a mid-range desktop card, so unless you absolutely need the speed in a mobile form-factor, just get something that will be good enough for development and run your real calculations on a desktop/server.

What do you mean by “best”? If you just want the most powerful graphics card for CUDA, go for one of the bigger, gaming-oriented models. Otherwise, like seibert said, any of them with an nVidia card should be fine for CUDA development. Keep in mind that even the most powerful mobile chip (currently the 480M) is going to be (at best) comparable to a mid-range desktop card, so unless you absolutely need the speed in a mobile form-factor, just get something that will be good enough for development and run your real calculations on a desktop/server.

Thanks a lot for the answers…

Thanks a lot for the answers…

Be warned that these laptops will get quite hot and might not have the greatest life span (1 to 1.5 years before you call in tech support to replace something as my friend found out). I’d advise that you use a notebook cooler - hopefully then you won’t be replacing parts too soon. The dual GPU laptops will be even worse, and thats not limited to Dell ones either.

Be warned that these laptops will get quite hot and might not have the greatest life span (1 to 1.5 years before you call in tech support to replace something as my friend found out). I’d advise that you use a notebook cooler - hopefully then you won’t be replacing parts too soon. The dual GPU laptops will be even worse, and thats not limited to Dell ones either.

Note that we just announced a whole family of Fermi based laptop GPUs (GTX 460M, GTX 470M, GTX 480M), so you might want to wait until these make it into new laptops.

[url=“http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_family_uk.html”]http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_family_uk.html[/url]

Note that we just announced a whole family of Fermi based laptop GPUs (GTX 460M, GTX 470M, GTX 480M), so you might want to wait until these make it into new laptops.

[url=“http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_family_uk.html”]Page Not Found | NVIDIA

The Latitude e6410/e6510 are nice and can be bought with an NVS3100M which is cuda capable (cc 1.2) , though not very powerfull. 512 MB GPU memory.

The Latitude e6410/e6510 are nice and can be bought with an NVS3100M which is cuda capable (cc 1.2) , though not very powerfull. 512 MB GPU memory.