TX2 NX power-down sequence

Hi,

I have a question about the TX2 NX power down sequence.
It is stated that POWER_EN can be used to turn off the system, but does it mean that if I set POWER_EN low before SHUTDOWN_REQ is asserted, SHUTDOWN_REQ will be asserted automatically?
In the red line at the top below, it is stated that SHUTDOW_REQ is deasserted after POWER_EN goes Low, so please tell me about the behavior when POWER_EN goes Low first.

Best Regards,
UNA

hello UNA_H,

may I know what’s your actual use-case?

as it state in the Jetson TX2 NX Product Design Guide,
the correct sequence should be to assert SHUTDOWN_REQ* signal so that carrier knows that module is shutting down, so the POWER_EN signal can be brought down as well. for the Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kits, POWER_EN only goes low when a shutdown sequence has been initiated.

Hi JerryChang,

may I know what’s your actual use-case?

As mentioned above, I am assuming the case where POWER_EN is Low before SHUTDOWN_REQ is asserted.
Since the Jetson TX2 NX Product Design Guide states that POWER_EN can be used to turn off the system, please show the behavior of SHUTDOWN_REQ in that case.

Best Regards,
UNA

hello UNA_H,

those figure5-5 and figure5-6 power down sequence has indicate the case.

For figure5-5 and figure5-6, SHUTDOWN_REQ is asserted first!
What I want to know is the case when POWER_EN is Low before SHUTDOWN_REQ is asserted.

Please refer to latest doc in DLC. SHUTDOWN_REQ is used by module to request carrier board to power off. POWER_EN is for module on/off. POWER_EN is always before SHUTDOWN_REQ.

As I have shown before, Jetson_TX2_NX_Product_Design says the following, what does this mean?
It appears that POWER_EN can be turned off before SHURDOWN_REQ as an option. This is contradictory to your answer.

====
Using POWER_EN to power the system OFF is an option, but SHUTDOWN_REQ* must be asserted soon after.

Ah, I misunderstood your question. Please ignore my comment. We are checking this internally, will update once get result.

The first underlined case is started with SHUTDOWN_REQ* going active, and this signals the carrier board to shut the system down. The carrier board should deassert POWER_EN which will power the system off, and during the powerdown, SHUTDOWN_REQ* will be cleared (to inactive). The second case is if no SHUTDOWN_REQ* has been generated, but instead the design just brings down POWER_EN to power the system off. This is not the preferred method of powering the system off and can result in issue unless SHUTDOWN_REQ* is asserted letting the carrier board know the module should be powered down.

As for the second case you commented on, does SHUTDOWN_REQ mean that it will automatically output an assert after POWER_EN goes low?
I would like to know how SHUTODOWN_REQ works when POWER_EN goes low first.

No, it is not automatically output here and should be asserted manually by the design.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.