Ubuntu 14.10: 2D rendering glitches in webbrowser and UI elements

Earlier I created this thread, which I´ll link here for reference, but it didn´t result in much useful response.

I´ve posted the contents of the nvidia-bug-report.sh script over here. I couldn´t use startx – --logverbose 6 though, as it didn´t start Unity properly.

The contents of my /var/log/nvidia-installer.log is here.

If more info is needed, I´m happy to supply.

Bump?

Bump, week two.

Bump week 3.

Great help here…

Bump week 4.

Your description “These artifacts are best described as a sort of ‘stuttering’.” was quite poor tbh. You should describe your issue in more detail and perhaps provide screenshots or photos of it.

Wow, thank you for your first request at clarification!

Given the nature of the flickering, it is actually quite hard to make a screenshot/photo out of it. I could consider making a video via my phone, though. I’ll work on it.

Does it look like this?
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/729908/linux/-gt-334-21-redrawing-problems-in-gnome-3-10-3-12-gtx-580/

Also rtcm is not an nVidia dev, he’s a GNOME dev who’s actually working on fixing the issue I linked in this post.

nVidia hardly ever replies to us on this board, which is a shame…

No, the issue is different. I made a short video which you can see here: - YouTube.

As you can see the issue doesn’t always occur, but it is clearly visible in the beginning and shortly at the very end.

The purring you might hear is from my cat ;)

Week 5. This almost got off the ground for a little while.

Driver 349.16 does not resolve the issue.

Does the problem still occur if you don’t use Unity? From the video, it looks like a long-standing bug with Compiz where it doesn’t properly synchronize with X rendering. There is a Compiz patch to fix it, but it’s still has a few kinks to be worked out. You can follow the issue on Launchpad here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/269904

You might be right. I did the upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04 yesterday and since then I didn’t get one glitch. So, apparently this patch, or a similar solution, has probably been gone upstream then.

I’ll keep monitoring the situation, but this is looking very good.