Ubuntu 20.04 'no signal' after monitor sleep or monitor turned off

Hello,
last friday (4th of June) my drivers were automatically updated to the current version 460.80 on Ubuntu 20.04. Now if I turn my monitor (SWEDX display) off or it goes to sleep, and I turn it back on I get ‘No Signal’. This was not the case until now.

Only if I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in I get back the signal.

I would appreciate any hints or help, because this is driving me nuts. I tried purging all nvidia related stuff, installing 440 (doesnt work reverts to 460), reinstalling current driver, no change.

I attach my bug report, thanks in advance for any help,

Markus.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (380.5 KB)

1 Like

I have the same exact issue. This started happening around the same time period, and I assume its connected to an update. I’ve tried going to 465, but the issue persists.
If I turn off the monitor (or it turns off itself) there is no signal when I turn it back on. Plugging the HDMI cable in and out resolves the issue but its really annoying.
Running a 2060 Super.

1 Like

Hello,

I am quite glad, I am not the only one :-). As a temporary solution for this obvious software problem I came up with a HDMI extension, that I unplug instead of ruining the connector at the display.

@frlb: Could you please add your bug report? Maybe someone smarter than me finds something wrong that is present in both our files…

Thank you.

@frlb
Can you also please attach nvidia bug report and confirm the last working driver version for you.
@mf_76
Can you also confirm last working driver version if possible.

Hello,
in my case (not 100% sure) the last working was nvidia-driver-450 (450.102.04-0ubuntu0.20.04.1). The one rolled out in Ubuntu 20.04.1 before the actual 460.80, if I am correct.
Though I have a similar machine with 1080ti (also U20.04.1) where 460.80 is working like before. Maybe this bug-report.sh would be useful?

Hi,

for me this started to happen after a linux update, not sure if it was 20.04.2 , but it was working fine for me on 465 before this update. It might not be an nvidia driver update issue.

@amrits Unfortunately I do not know what was the last working driver. I’ve spent some days now trying to manually downgrade to solve this, but I just end up in a state where either the drivers to not load at all, or I get a mismatch between kernel/user driver. I’ve attached the nvidia bug report, but do note that all records prior to at least June 10 will probably indicate those driver mismatches.

I have had 460.80, 460.84 (current) and 465 all exhibit this behavior.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (381.9 KB)

Some more testing:
Using nouveua driver exhibit the same pattern but worse: signal is lost when monitor is turned off, but replugging the cable doesn’t help so hard reboot is required.

Dropping down to kernel version 5.8.0-53 (default is 5.8.0-55) exhibit the same problem. At this point I’m not sure it’s a driver problem, but figuring out what Ubuntu/Linux update broke this is going to be really painful.

I am now running 460.84, the problem persists. At least the embarrassing stutter playing video files (any resolution up to 4K in VLC, Youtube, Kodi, you name it; audio stutter included) is gone.

Alright, finally some progress on this: dropping down to 450 works (450.119.04 to be exact)!
I had to do this by picking the “server” metapackage.