Ubuntu MATE 20.04 with RTX 3070 on Ryzen 5900 - black screen after boot

Hey, @generix , I already tried that, but tried it again - same thing.
Attaching bug report without nomodeset

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (290.4 KB)

You have a driver mismatch
Feb 6 08:47:48 predte4a-dev kernel: [ 4.238258] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 460.39, but
Feb 6 08:47:48 predte4a-dev kernel: [ 4.238258] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 460.32.03. Please
Feb 6 08:47:48 predte4a-dev kernel: [ 4.238258] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
Feb 6 08:47:48 predte4a-dev kernel: [ 4.238258] NVRM: components have the same version.
Please purge and reinstall the driver.

1 Like

Hey, @generix , thank you very much for your time, but I`m really confused right now. If I do
“ubuntu-drivers list”
I get
“nvidia-driver-460, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-460-generic-hwe-20.04)”

However, If I do
“sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-modules-nvidia-460-generic-hwe-20.04”

I get:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-modules-nvidia-460-generic-hwe-20.04 : Depends: nvidia-kernel-common-460 (<= 460.32.03-1) but 460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So I have to install
linux-modules-nvidia-460-5.8.0-41-generic, cause this looks like the right modules for my kernel. But if I do so you say there is a driver mismatch… frustrating stuff…
In the repo I see only one package about 460 and it is nvidia-kernel-common-460. If I install it it turns out to be:
Unpacking nvidia-kernel-common-460 (460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)

What should I install after all and is there some documentation about this thing?

You’re trying to install specific sub-packages which don’t fit to your system.
Please uninstall the driver, while inside an empty directory:

sudo apt remove nvidia*
sudo apt remove libnvidia*

according to the logs, you still have ‘nomodeset’ set, please make sure it is removed from grub config and run

sudo update-grub

then reboot. After reboot, please check if Ubuntu system info reports
“AMD Renoir”
as graphics device.
If that’s the case, you can use Software&Updates to install the nvidia driver.

1 Like

Hey, @generix ,
Ubuntu shows that the packages you mentioned are already unistalled. I updated the grub, but the graphics used are
“lvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0, 256 bits)”

I’m sorry, I only now saw that you’re on a brand-new Ryzen 5900, those are only supported by kernel 5.10+. You’ll have to install that manually:
You will need 4 packages
linux-headers-XX
linux-headers-XX-generic
linux-image-unsigned-XX-generic
linux-modules-XX-generic
from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.10.14/
Afterwards, please check if the correct AMD graphics is displayed

1 Like

@predte4a, did you solve it? I have the same Asus (Ryzen 5900, RTX 3070 mobile) with the same issue.
When I tried kernel 5.10.14 with 460.39 a screen was black, I heard login screen loaded sound, but no picture at all.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

1 Like

@sano1982 , no luck for me yet. It looks like we both have exactly the same issue.
@generix , I installed 5.10.14 kernel, but when I boot I get error:

nouveau 0000:01:00.0: unknown chipset (b74000a1)

and the boot hangs.
If I put “nomodeset” to the kernel parameters the OS starts normally, but again it is using
“Graphics: lvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0, 256 bits)”

Can you switch to a vt using ctrl+alt+f4 when the boot hangs? You could then create a kernel log using
sudo dmesg > kernel.txt
Alternatively, boot to hang, reboot setting ‘nomodeset’ parameter and run
sudo journalctl -b-1 --no-pager |grep kernel >kernel.txt
and attach kernel.txt. Maybe some firmware files are missing/incorrect.

1 Like

Hey, @generix , when the PC hangs on boot it is not responding, so ctrl+alt+f4 is not possible.
However, I got into recovery mode and here is the result of “sudo journalctl -b-1 --no-pager |grep kernel >kernel.txt”

kernel.txt (106.5 KB)

Ok, the amd firmware is missing. AFAIK, the gpu of the 5xxx series will be called Cezanne, a descendant of the 4xxx Renoir gpu. Currently, it has the codename “Green Sardine” so the driver tries to load green_sardine firmware. Which has not been publicly released by lazy AMD (the driver was added back in october).
So it’s now hunting for the firmware files.

1 Like

https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/gs/
Those should be the files. Please download all of them and copy to /lib/firmware/amdgpu

1 Like

Hey, @generix ,
No luck yet. I have added these files to /lib/firmware/amdgpu.
I made sure they have the same owner and permissions as the other files in the dir.
However, without nomodest to the kernel again it hangs with

nouveau 0000:01:00.0: unknown chipset (b74000a1)

With nomodest it boots, but again it is using

“Graphics: lvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0, 256 bits)”

Here is the new kernel log:
new_kernel.txt (106.4 KB)

Please try running
sudo update-initramfs -u
to embed the files in the initrd.

1 Like

Hey, @generix ,
Looks like it works now:
Graphics: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.40.0, 5.10.14-051014-generic, LLVM 11.0.1)

Should I just have to install the NVIDIA driver now?

Please create a new kernel.txt first from the running system using
sudo journalctl -b 0 --no-pager |grep kernel >kernel.txt
and post the output of
glxinfo |grep OpenGL
first to check if really everything is up and running.

1 Like

@generix This is the kernel log:
kernel_3.txt (118.8 KB)

This is the output of “glxinfo |grep OpenGL”:

OpenGL vendor string: AMD
OpenGL renderer string: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.40.0, 5.10.14-051014-generic, LLVM 11.0.1)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-cd03f1c 2021-02-10 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-cd03f1c 2021-02-10 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-cd03f1c 2021-02-10 focal-oibaf-ppa)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

There’s a kernel oops regarding the amdgpu driver which probably should be reported to the kernel bugzilla but looks like this doesn’t have any bad effects since all seems to be working otherwise.
Please install the nvidia driver now and take care that you’re installing a 460 version since only those have support for kernel 5.10.
Afterwards, please post the output of
dpkg -l |grep nvidia-prime
and
dpkg -l |grep ubuntu-drivers-common
since amd/nvidia combos require specific version to properly work.

1 Like

@generix ,
now the NVIDIA driver refuses to install with this error: