Unable to load the 'nvidia-drm' kernel module.

Hi , sorry to bother you. I wanted to install cuda, and I found that I even don’t have NVIDIA. So I have been trying to install NVIDIA for my ubuntu16.04-x64. But I have tried weeks. Unfortunately ,failed.
I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.93.run , and follow the instruction on Install NVIDIA Driver and CUDA on Ubuntu / CentOS / Fedora Linux OS · GitHub.
After “Ctrl-Alt+F1” and” cd Downloads” and” chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.93.run” and “sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.93.run --dkms –s –-no-opengl-files”
I meet the error:
Warning : “You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 410.93 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system.”
Error:” Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.”
Error: “installation has failed”

Or can I install NVIDIA by apt-get? But I am afraid that it would have naming conflicts with cuda I will install after.
Posted 03/20/2019 06:56 AM

generix reply:

You should have opened a regular thread in the forums for that.
The driver to be installed depends on the installed GPU, what’s the output of
sudo lspci -nn |grep “3D|VGA”
Using the .run installer with the options you used is only necessary if the nvidia gpu is the second gpu in the system and not to be used for graphics. Otherwise, you shuld rather use the Ubuntu graphics ppa to install the driver.
Cuda 10.0 install instructions for Ubuntu 16.04:

• Don’t use the .run installers, use --uninstall to uninstall them
  • purge anything nvidia/cuda
  • add the ubuntu graphics ppa https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
  • install the driver from that (sudo apt install nvidia-415)
  • download the cuda .deb
  • add the repo to your system (first three steps from install instructions on download page)
  • don’t install cuda
  • instead, run sudo apt install cuda-toolkit-10-0

In case of cuda 10.1 on Ubuntu 16.04, you’ll currently have to use the staging ppa: Staging : Michael Marley
to get the 418 driver (sudo apt install nvidia-418)
and run sudo apt install cuda-toolkit-10-1
at the end.
Posted 03/20/2019 09:19 AM

the output of sudo lspci -nn |grep “3D|VGA” is

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland [Radeon HD 8570 / R7 240/340 OEM] [1002:6611]

I don’t know what does it mean.

This means that you have a graphics card built by AMD, Cuda only works for Nvidia graphics cards. With AMD gpus, you could use OpenCL instead.

Thank you very much. I installed NVIDIA-415 and cuda-10.0 successfully by following your suggestions!
Very appreciate!