Very High CPU Consumption in X Windows with GTX 560

I am having a problem with X Windows consuming a very high amount of CPU for doing simple tasks. When I drag around or resize a window, CPU goes up to about 90% for the Xorg process until you stop dragging, and the window lags behind the mouse. Scrolling a web page takes 50% CPU. Clicking and dragging around on the desktop takes the same. Just moving the mouse around off and on icons makes CPU go to 50%. And my CPU is an Intel Core i5 2500k.

I also get noticeable tearing when resizing/dragging windows. The content of the windows takes noticeable time to repaint as well.

I have this problem on both Arch and Debian Linux (and now also on OpenSUSE and Ubuntu) using both the proprietary nVidia and free Nouveau drivers. I have remade the installation medium and done a clean install, so it’s not corruption of the CD or anything. I have tried both the 304, 313 and 319 drivers. I have been using this same computer with Windows 7 and 8 for years before installing Linux and had no such issues then.

I have verified that direct rendering is “Yes” with glxinfo. I get no warnings or errors from nVidia in /var/log/Xorg.0.log except that it can’t connect to the ACPI daemon, and nothing conspicuous in the output of dmesg.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (64.8 KB)

I also tried with an nVidia 9600 GSO, and have pretty much the same problems, except the performance feels paradoxically a little better with this older and weaker card. X still takes 90% CPU upon resizing windows.

I have just finished:

• Trying Fedora 18 with KDE and the GTX 560
  • Trying the BackingStore=True in xorg.conf
  • Setting PowerMizer to maximum speed
  • Setting InitialPixmapPlacement to 1,2,3 and 4
    And nothing results in a performance boost.

Your bug report looks perfectly fine to me which makes me think you have some hardware incompatibility.

Let’s wait for NVIDIA developers.