Visual Studio 2013 and Nsight

Same here. We also want to migrate to Visual Studio 2013. Is there any schedule for the VS2013 compiler support?

Hi All,

Visual Studio 2013 support will be available in the version of the CUDA toolkit due to be released approximately this summer (2014).

In the meantime, you may have seen announcements for the availability of a release candidate for CUDA 6.0. CUDA 6.0 does contain support for VS 2013 in the Nsight Visual Studio Edition tool. What this means is that you can host, debug, and analyze your project in VS 2013 using Nsight VSE; however, whenever you build the CUDA project, you will still need to build with tools from VS 2012 (or earlier). This requires you to have those tools installed as well as VS 2013. This may be a reasonable intermediate solution for some of you, until the CUDA nvcc compiler fully works with the VS 2013 compiler. The CUDA 6.0 release candidate is accessible to all CUDA registered developers (https://developer.nvidia.com/programs/cuda/register).

We are also waiting for VS 2013 support in the Cuda toolkit, we cannot migrate our whole stack of libraries before we have the CUDA toolkit support for VS 2013 …

Might be nice in the future if the period between a release of Visual studio and the first cuda toolkit which supports it could be decreased significantly. I suppose NVIDIA has good enough connections with Microsoft to get early access to a pre-release version of a new Visual Studio version …

That is fair feedback, HannesF99. We will be more proactive in making sure our support for Microsoft compilers appears as soon as possible in our products. Actually, this applies to other compilers, and to operating system / Linux distro support as well.

Thanks for the answer and date.

Best regards.

Is it possible to do remote development/debugging with VS2013 + CUDA 6.0 RC + Nsight RC1
client (laptop with VS2013) + server (VS2013 + CUDAtoolkit + Nsight)
if yes, how to configure ?
could you give the links on papers, docs, videos, please ?

Hi,

You can follow the documentation regarding the setup here: [url]NVIDIA Nsight Visual Studio Edition User Guide

Can we please, please, please, please get at least a rough timeline on VS2013 support in the CUDA SDK? Is VS2013 going to be a part of the final shipping version of CUDA 6.0 which is releasing this summer, or some later release?

We’re in the process of setting up a VS2013 (VC12) toolchain now, and not having at least a rough guideline / ETA makes it very hard to do this with any confidence.

If VS2013/VC12 support is a matter of a few more months, that’s fine for us. If we’re talking about another 6-12 months plus, that’s a different story and we should be considering setting up with VS2012. Why not just set up with VS2012/VC11 in the first place? Well, there are some big benefits with the VS2013 (VC12) compiler – namely x64 Edit and Continue support. This feature alone can make a huge difference in developer productivity, so continuing to use VC11 (VS2012) for the compiler does have a huge downside.

Hi,

CUDA 6.0 toolkit (with the final build coming out this month) will NOT have support for the VS 2013(VC12) compiler.
The next CUDA version will have support for the VC12 compiler, with candidate builds being available this summer.

Whelp.

Anyone got a link on where to get VS2012… microsoft no longer offers it for download and we STILL have no support here for VS2013?

Hi,

Looking for VS 2012? Is it the professional edition what you are looking for: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30682 ?

As mentioned here: https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-visual-studio-edition-downloads there should now be support for Visual Studio 2013. However I cannot get my code to compile yet. More specifically: when selecting ‘Item type’,Cuda C/C++ is not one of the options. Am I doing something wrong? Is Visual Studio 2013 supported for my GTX 750m?

EDIT: I forgot to select CUDA under PROJECT/Build Custimizations. With this I can find CUDA C/C++ under ‘Item type’, I’m still not able to compile though. I get the following error:

... CUDA 6.0.targets(511,9): error : The Visual Studio 2013 platform toolset is not currently supported.
Please change the Platform Toolset property in the VC++ project properties under Configuration Properties | General.

Hi,

Although Nsight 4.0 supports VS 2013, the CUDA 6.0 toolkit does not support VS 2013.
There will be a version after CUDA 6.0 that supports building with the VS 2013 compilers. As a temporary solution, you can install VS 2012 express edition (to get the VS 2012 compilers) and set the platformtoolset (in the project system) to “v110” which is VS 2012 and you would be able to compile your VS 2013 project but with the VS 2012 compilers.

Thanks

Any idea of when this version will be released?
I’d prefer if I didn’t have to go to the trouble of installing VS 2012 on my computer just for use with CUDA.

There are many developers that still are waiting for a version of CUDA SDK toolkit usable with Visual Studio 2013.
The developers that work on VS 2013 cannot install the previous version because of that.

CUDA Toolkit 6.0 (installer cuda_6.0.37_winvista_win7_win8.1_notebook_64.exe) returns “unsupported platform version” error when I try to compile.