VLP16 - sample_lidar_replay/sample_lidar_accumulator

Hi,

I’ve recently started working on the Nvidia Drive AGX pegasus. I’m trying to test the lidar data I’ve recorded from a VLP-16 lidar sensor. It’s the data the sensor sends via UDP and I’ve saved it as a .bin file.

However, upon running this command in the terminal :

./sample_lidar_replay --protocol=lidar.virtual --params=file=/usr/local/driveworks/data/samples/sensors/lidar/<file_name.bin>

I get the following error:

Driveworks exception thrown: DW_INVALID_ARGUMENT: LidarVirtual::initializeDecoder, unknown lidar type.
Cannot connect to Lidar.
  1. Is it a must that the data be recorded using the recording tool provided on the AGX platform?
  2. Can you help me with the format of the lidar data recorded using the recording tool?

Dear ABoxwala,

Could you please refer to LIDAR part in DriveWorks doc?
DRiveWorks SDK Reference → Development Guide → Sensor Abstraction Layer → Sensors → LIDAR

Connect to Lidar Sensors
To read data from a live Lidar sensor, DW lidar module expects the following inputs:

• ip address
  • port number
  • device type
  • scanning frequency

Playback from Lidar Recordings
The lidar module also supports data reading from recorded binary file using the DW supported lidar sensors.

Hi SteveNV,

Thank you for your reply. I’ve gone through the documentation you’ve suggested.

However, my question is still unanswered. I’m trying to view my recorded LIDAR data from VLP-16(supported sensor) using the sample program(sample_lidar_replay) provided with the DriveWorks software. Upon running the command, I get the above mentioned error.

I’ve recorded the data on a windows PC. Could that be a reason for the error? Should the data always be recorded using the recording tool provided?

Dear Dear ABoxwala,

Could you provide the bin file if you can provide the file? Thanks.