VMA not offloading

Hello,

I am testing VMA. I installed OFED driver, and installed software packages. I ran my program with LD_PRELOAD=libvma.so and looks like the program is using VMA library. However, when I dumped VMA statistics using vma_stats, none of my program is doing offloading. I see the counters for “total offloaded” are 0, and only the counters under “total os” sections are non-zero. I used the command “vma_stats --fd_dump info” to get the detail, and I don’t see a line “Is offloaded : true”. So it looks like the VMA is not offloading. I use default configuration (did not change libvma.conf, so I guess VMA is enabled all traffic other than DNS). The application is getting multicast UDP traffic. What would prevent the application offloading traffic?

Thanks,

Hello,

Which OFED did you install? Is it MLNX_OFED driver? If so, you should install the driver with the -with-vma flag.

Regards,

Viki

Yes, it was MLNX_OFED driver. I didn’t use install script, but did mostly the same thing that -with-vma flag does.

Thanks,

Ho

Hi Ho,

I recommend to open a case for it with all the details to Mellanox support.

It can be done by sending an email to support@mellanox.com mailto:support@mellanox.com

Regards,

Viki

I would suggest to validate offloading using ‘sockperf’ first and in addition to open an issue on VMA home page (GitHub - Mellanox/libvma: Linux user space library for network socket acceleration based on RDMA compatible network adaptors ) GitHub - Mellanox/libvma: Linux user space library for network socket acceleration based on RDMA compatible network adaptors

VMA is opensource, but its support is not free. If your company has VMA support contract, you’ll be all set.