When the CUDA Toolkit will support GTX1070 Graphics Card???

When the CUDA Toolkit will support GTX1070 Graphics Card???

For GTX1080 and GTX1070, you should install CUDA 8RC, and then install the latest driver for your GPU separately. Then it is a supported configuration.

When I install CUDA 8RC, the setup program told me “it didn’t find supported hardware…”, so I think 8RC only support GTX1080.

Even for GTX1080, the CUDA 8RC toolkit does not contain the correct driver. That is why on the CUDA 8RC download page it says this:

“GeForce GTX 1080 Developers must re-install the latest driver from Official Drivers | NVIDIA after installing any of these CUDA Toolkits.”

This same advice applies to GTX 1070 as well.

Install the CUDA 8 toolkit. If you are on a windows machine, simply keep your existing driver, i.e. deselect the option to install the driver within the cuda toolkit installer.

Yes, you will get a warning message that the toolkit cannot find the supported hardware, but if you read what appears after that warning message, it advises you that this may be because you have newer hardware. On windows, the full installer message in this situation is something like this:

““This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. You may continue installation. but you may not be able to run CUDA applications with this driver. This may occur with graphics hardware that is newer than this toolkit. In that case, it is suggested that you keep your existing driver and install the remaining portions of the CUDA Toolkit.””

Note what it says:

• You may continue installation.
  • This may occur with graphics hardware that is newer than this toolkit.

This is the situation for GTX 1070, the graphics hardware is newer than the CUDA 8RC toolkit.

Anyway, this topic has been covered many times on this forum, in many, many threads. I don’t want to argue with you about it. If you don’t wish to install the CUDA toolkit this way, you can wait for a future toolkit release that will recognize the GTX 1070 directly.

Hey @txbob → I’m on Ubuntu 14.04. I’ve followed the steps as you suggested. Have you found that package dependencies have been broken on your package manager? My package manager keeps telling me that cuda-8.0 can be autoremoved for some reason. It’s not a real problem but I just want to make sure everything is installed properly (I can successfully build and run some of the CUDA samples which is a pretty good sign).

Thanks for the help!

Also apologies for the really trivial question but I just want to make sure everything is in order!

I haven’t installed CUDA 8 on Ubuntu 14.04 myself.
I didn’t witness any problems with CUDA 7.5 on Ubuntu 14.04 and package manager.

I don’t really know which packages you used or what process you used. If you followed the process and used the packages identified in the CUDA 8RC linux install guide, I don’t think there should be an issue.

However, there are many similarly named packages available, not all from or maintained by NVIDIA, and these differences may be important, or may cause the issue you are seeing.