2 NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 in one machine

Hi Nvidia Team

I do High-end architectural graphics
I have a 4 screen setup,
Google Photos

I have been using an NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 ( No Problems )

But I have purchased an extra NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000

1. I can put this extra card into my machine, but will it sink correctly like a single card? Or do I need to purchase a NVIDIA Quadro HW Sync card.
  2. I realise this is not the best option for performance, but I got the card cheap, so I thought that I would give it a go.
  3. Due to its small form factor and they are used a lot on large video screen walls. I thought this would also enhance a more simplistic cheaper setup.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Anthony

I found this good explanation, that states it will not work?
Can you use Two different Graphics Cards at once

But in the comments was this

Good news - Microsoft has developed something called “explicit multi-adaptor” that allows the use of AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards together since the development of DirectX 12. However, not all games developed to support DirectX 12. I suggest you to first check the games you want to play whether they support DirectX 12. Also, make sure you got a powerful enough CPU, PSU! It’s still gonna be tricky though. That means you might be able get them work together for Windows 10 and some of the games that support directX12 (the way forward). Important thing is to check whether your graphics cards support DirectX 12! All the best!

I then Checked the compatability of this card with DirectX12 Ultimate
The Quadro RTX 4000 is an enthusiast-class professional graphics card by NVIDIA, launched on November 13th, 2018. Built on the 12 nm process, and based on the TU104 graphics processor, in its TU104-850-A1 variant, the card supports DirectX 12 Ultimate.

How to enable directx 12 Ultimate

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/how-to-enable-directx-12-ultimate/cdd8687a-78fe-4ac2-88c1-e9d0fb9e1bad

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Anthony

I think you are over thinking this. The good news is that Omniverse, and OV apps like USD Composer, will automatically detect and use multiple GPUs. The Quadro 4000 card is fairly old, but as long as one gpu recognizes, it should recognize the other one. Then you can use both. In USD Composer both graphics cards should show up. In Realtime, you may only use one, but in Path tracing mode, both should kick in.

It does not require any further hardware or software. Do not use SLI. Just get both cards recognized in Device Manager.

1 Like

Thanks Richard
The computer has Directx 12 already installed, would you recommend, setting it up so it is optimised for Directx 12 Ultimate.?

I am only doing this extra graphics card option, because I got a second card for about 250 US Dollars. ( So I thought, well lets give this a go )
So I though that in some rendering applications that this would help.
I mainly use AutoCAD, Revit, Sketchup and Enscape.
( Any advise would be appreciated )

I have had older computers that were firewired together with two graphics cards, when I first started to put 4 screens together.
The thing is, once you get use to having such large real estate in screens, you can never go back to a twin screen setup. :-)

Thanks for your help - Anthony

Well this really is the forum for the RTX Renderer. I do not think this is related. You cannot optimize for DirectX. It is what is it. Install the latest drivers and that’s your lot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.