ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 2021 - Ubuntu 20.04 (GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS)

Greetings everyone,
just received this computer and need to put Ubuntu 20.04 on it.
Unfortunately, I can’t migrate to 21.04 yet (everything works on 21.04, this is a good sign!)

I have read lots of posts and mixed solution, but so far nothing is working properly.
Adding to the equation that it is quite complex to move on a new kernel 5.12.x easily. See here.

I am willing to test anything to make this work :)
If you want me to try something, do not hesitate, I am sure that will serve many people with the same configuration.

Best,
J.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I am facing a similar issue, and would like to follow this thread.

I just bought a similar model (ASUS ROG Zephyrus GA503QM: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, AMD Ryzen 7 5800HS,) and am struggling to set things up properly.

I’ve tried installing the nvidia driver by (a) using the GUI additional drivers → apply changes (b) sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-460 (c) sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa and then sudo apt-get update (d) using the nvidia installer

Other people seem to be having issues as well (reddit).

Best,
Chia

If you can live with a 5.11 kernel, it’s not that hard. You can use a version between 5.11.13 and 5.11.17 from mainline.
(I don’t know the status at ubuntu, other then what your link shows).
And you need the amdgpu firmware files.
Fetch all green_sardine* files from amdgpu - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux kernel and put them into /lib/firmware/amdgpu.

I am actually almost there :)
There are some options indeed.
Kernel 5.11.16 and Kernel 5.12-rc2 are still generated with a compatible libc6.

So, I installed a fresh Ubuntu, bump the kernel to 5.12-rc2 (no need for the amdgpu firmware any more) and install the Nvidia 460 driver from software update

Why won’t you need the firmware files?
Won’t hurt anyway.
So what problem is left?

I think the firmware file are in the 5.12 kernel, not in 5.11.
I need to do intensive testing to see if the GPU is actually used at its full potential, but so far so good!

The firmware usually is a separate package. I suggest you add them. Won’t hurt at all.

1 Like

will do!

Would you mind sharing how you bumped up to kernel 5.12-rc2? After reading the posts on Ask Ubuntu, it’s still unclear to me how to best go about this. Did you compile the kernel yourself or did you use the lts-mainline ppa?

I noticed your ubuntu version is 20.04.02. Mine is 20.04.01. I wonder if I need to upgrade to 20.04.02.

Download those 4 file from there
linux-headers-5.12.0-051200rc2-generic
linux-headers-5.12.0-051200rc2_all
linux-image-unsigned-5.12.0-051200rc2
linux-modules-5.12.0-051200rc2-generic

Then in a terminal, assuming you are in the download folder :

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Reboot, and voila :)

It seems that the rc8 is also working!
No need to add manually the green_sardine firmware as they are already integrated in the 5.12 kernel branch

Since now kernel 5.12 has been released. I tried installing it and it worked. The steps I followed were:

1. Install Ubuntu 21.04 without 3rd party installation (5.12 kernel won’t work with Ubuntu 20.04 since the header files are dependent on lib6c 3.33 while Ubuntu 20.04 won’t let you upgrade the library)

2. Updated the kernel from 5.11 to 5.12 from mainline kernels - https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    5.12 kernel files at - https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.12/amd64/

• linux-headers-*generic-*amd64.deb
  • linux-headers-*all.deb
  • linux-image-unsigned-*generic_*amd64.deb
  • linux-modules-*generic-*amd64.deb
  1. Refresh Cache by changing the source of download from in Software and Updates. Check additional Drivers and then install 460 driver which is tested

2. Run Software Updater

Issues :

• There is a bug in kernel that WIFI will automatically disappear in some cases. It might be because of the laptop getting heated up. in that case remove the charging and shutdown n let it cool for a while.
  • To avoid this I added indicator-cpufreqand changed the mode to Power Saving or On Demand.
    sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq
  • Similarly changed the GPU mode from NVIDIA X Server Settings > Prime Profiles to Power Saving or On Demand.
  • Lastly in order to use Asus Armoury Crate tools in Terminal - asus-linux / asusctl · GitLab

References :

• https://medium.com/@pjbgf/installing-ubuntu-on-the-latest-asus-rog-g15-36487ecea862
  • @mc59bthf7h’s comment
  • https://askubuntu.com/questions/1161266/armoury-crate-asus-laptop
  • https://www.gitmemory.com/issue/openwrt/mt76/548/864677871

Let me know how the 5.13 kernel works if anybody tries and also if the WIFI driver disappearing problem can be fixed by any of the specific kernel or solution.

Hi!

I recently bought a ROG Strix with pretty much the same spec. RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX. (Switching from Mac. Regret it). I’ve spent 10+ hours to try make the computer work. Nothing special, just want to be able to:

• run an external monitor (with 5.12 kernel it works)
  • have wifi (still doesn’t work)
  • be able to turn the computer on, and off (doesn’t work)

I’ve seen many messages the computer was hanging on after reboot, most of them have very long discussions on ubuntu forums without solution. Including "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization" the most recent one.

Anyone met with the issue? If so, was anyone able to solve it somehow?

As a note out of curiosity, and lack patience I downloaded 21.04, everything was working fine, no need was for downloading extra packages, kernels, drivers etc, everything worked perfectly out of the box (from the above list). Except the computer was lagging for simple tasks like… moving the cursor - occasionally.

Any help is appreciated.

Well, the problem was (and somehow still is) with 20.04LTS.
21.04 is a complete different topic

I am still unable to solve the issue on Ubuntu 18.04.

I am having Asus Strix Scar G15 RTX3080 + AMD Ryzen 9.

18.04 is way too old.
I just test 20.04.3 (released today) and it improves a lot!
Now my problem is getting full power from the GPU.
For some reason it limits the power at 65W under Linux…
The power settings on Nvidia-smi has no effect :
“changing power management limit is not supported for GPU 00000000:01:00.0.0”