Black screen after install of nvidia driver ubuntu

Hello there. I am facing the same problem when installing nvidia 495 on ubuntu 18. Here is my bug report. Can anyone help please?
nvidia-bug-report.log (492.9 KB)

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (321.6 KB)
Hello @generix, I have 3050 ti graphics card and installed nvidia-470 drivers on ubuntu 18.04. If I select sudo prime-select nvidia, laptop screen shows up but external monitor goes black. If I select sudo prime-select intel, laptop screen goes black external monitor shows up can you help me please?

The nomodeset parameter has to be removed and the stock 5.4 kernel of 18.04 is too old to drive your intel gpu. Please upgrade to 20.04 hwe or use a kernel from liquorix ppa.

Hi everyone,
It seems that I have the similiar problem.
I have a laptap with Ubuntu18.04 and the kernel is 5.4.0-108.I know maybe Ubuntu20 would be better, but for some reason 18.04 must be used.
And when I try to install Nvidia-driver-470 on my laptop(RTX 3060), my GUI disappeared.But I can use the tty1-6 to operate. And nvidia-smi is OK.
I try to solve the problem and have used almost all the methods below in this post,for example:
1. delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf, infact I have not the file.
2. remove nomodeset
3. make sure nvidia-prime and remove nvidia blacklist files
4. switch gdm3 or lightdm
5. change options nvidia-drm modeset=1 to 0

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.9 MB)

This has been bothering me all day. Can someone help me? Thanks a lot!
1 Like

Hi,

I have an Alienware 15 R3 with an Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU (and an intel one as well). I have dual boot with Kubuntu and after installing the Nvidia drivers I cannot boot into Kubuntu normally anymore, and a black screen appears immediately. Weirdly enough, I can log in through the third option in “Advanced Options for Ubuntu”.

I have tried many different things by following forums but it would be too much to share. As main takeaways, I managed to have an external display working with the Nvidia driver (but that is not the case anymore, once I tried fixing the black screen), and both nvidia-smi and nvcc seem to work fine (so does PyTorch with CUDA). The driver is installed and works, but something may be interfering.

I am attaching the bug report. Note that I changed the name but it is still a .gz. Thank you for your help.
nvidia-bug-report.log (327.1 KB)

@generix I have this same issue with a Dell XPS 15 9510 it has an nvidia RTX 3050 Ti, Bios 1.9.0. I need to run ubuntu 18.04 and use nvidia driver due to existing work environment. After installing Ubuntu 18.04 and nvidia driver laptop is rebooted. I get a black screen afterwards and CTRL F1 - F6 does nothing. If there is a fix for this, please share. I understand that Ubuntu 20.04 is working, but I need Ubuntu 18.04 and the nvidia/CUDA libraries/cudnn, etc, etc…

What I did. Fresh install, apt update, apt upgrade apt install ssh, Installed to version 470 proprietary (tested) via Ubuntu’s Software & Updates / Additional Drivers, rebooted, desktop does not load. I can ssh to the laptop though. attached picture and nvidia-bug-report.

Thanks for any help.

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.8 MB)

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/black-screen-after-install-of-nvidia-driver-for-my-ubuntu/210815/3?u=generix

@generix I have the similar problem. Laptop screen not working without external screen plugged. I am attaching log file. Can you please take a look
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (326.8 KB)

The internal display seems to be detected and used. The lenovo legion has issues with the backlight, did you check if it’s just turned off?