Black screen after install of nvidia driver ubuntu

Hello there. I am facing the same problem when installing nvidia 495 on ubuntu 18. Here is my bug report. Can anyone help please?
nvidia-bug-report.log (492.9 KB)

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (321.6 KB)
Hello @generix, I have 3050 ti graphics card and installed nvidia-470 drivers on ubuntu 18.04. If I select sudo prime-select nvidia, laptop screen shows up but external monitor goes black. If I select sudo prime-select intel, laptop screen goes black external monitor shows up can you help me please?

The nomodeset parameter has to be removed and the stock 5.4 kernel of 18.04 is too old to drive your intel gpu. Please upgrade to 20.04 hwe or use a kernel from liquorix ppa.

Hi everyone,
It seems that I have the similiar problem.
I have a laptap with Ubuntu18.04 and the kernel is 5.4.0-108.I know maybe Ubuntu20 would be better, but for some reason 18.04 must be used.
And when I try to install Nvidia-driver-470 on my laptop(RTX 3060), my GUI disappeared.But I can use the tty1-6 to operate. And nvidia-smi is OK.
I try to solve the problem and have used almost all the methods below in this post,for example:
1. delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf, infact I have not the file.
2. remove nomodeset
3. make sure nvidia-prime and remove nvidia blacklist files
4. switch gdm3 or lightdm
5. change options nvidia-drm modeset=1 to 0

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.9 MB)

This has been bothering me all day. Can someone help me? Thanks a lot!
1 Like

Hi,

I have an Alienware 15 R3 with an Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU (and an intel one as well). I have dual boot with Kubuntu and after installing the Nvidia drivers I cannot boot into Kubuntu normally anymore, and a black screen appears immediately. Weirdly enough, I can log in through the third option in ā€œAdvanced Options for Ubuntuā€.

I have tried many different things by following forums but it would be too much to share. As main takeaways, I managed to have an external display working with the Nvidia driver (but that is not the case anymore, once I tried fixing the black screen), and both nvidia-smi and nvcc seem to work fine (so does PyTorch with CUDA). The driver is installed and works, but something may be interfering.

I am attaching the bug report. Note that I changed the name but it is still a .gz. Thank you for your help.
nvidia-bug-report.log (327.1 KB)

@generix I have this same issue with a Dell XPS 15 9510 it has an nvidia RTX 3050 Ti, Bios 1.9.0. I need to run ubuntu 18.04 and use nvidia driver due to existing work environment. After installing Ubuntu 18.04 and nvidia driver laptop is rebooted. I get a black screen afterwards and CTRL F1 - F6 does nothing. If there is a fix for this, please share. I understand that Ubuntu 20.04 is working, but I need Ubuntu 18.04 and the nvidia/CUDA libraries/cudnn, etc, etcā€¦

What I did. Fresh install, apt update, apt upgrade apt install ssh, Installed to version 470 proprietary (tested) via Ubuntuā€™s Software & Updates / Additional Drivers, rebooted, desktop does not load. I can ssh to the laptop though. attached picture and nvidia-bug-report.

Thanks for any help.

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.8 MB)

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/black-screen-after-install-of-nvidia-driver-for-my-ubuntu/210815/3?u=generix

@generix I have the similar problem. Laptop screen not working without external screen plugged. I am attaching log file. Can you please take a look
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (326.8 KB)

The internal display seems to be detected and used. The lenovo legion has issues with the backlight, did you check if itā€™s just turned off?

Hello, I upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 and I cannot get the GUI to work past the login screen.

I tried several things I read in this thread but nothing worked for me. Over the past week I did several tests, also with the help with Canonical support without being able to find a solution yet.

Behavior:
The system boots normally and reaches Ubuntu log-in screen. Here the resolution looks as if the driver loaded fine since the minimal graphics is displayed in the monitorā€™s native display resolution, 4K, without looking enlarged or pixelated as when the drivers do not load. The anomaly here is that the background has no graphics and is fully grey. If I log in, the screen goes black. I can access the command line with ctrl alt f5.

Some of the tests I did:

• Upgrade from the latest generic kernel to OEM. No difference so I went back to generic.
  • Changed drivers multiple times. I tried different Nvidia drivers both supplied by the distro and from third-party ppa. No difference so I went back to the latest 5.20 available on ppa.
  • Purged Nvidia drivers and tried Nouveau. Same behavior. Went back to Nvidia and re-blacklisted Nouveau.
  • Deleted and re-generated xorg.conf - no difference
  • changed options nvidia-drm modeset=1 to options nvidia-drm modeset=0 - no difference

Drivers appear to load.

One anomaly I noticed is that lshw does not show the card model. It only says generic Nvidia VGA device or something along those lines.

My card is a 3090Ti.

If I go back to 20.04 via backup, everything works fine. I re-upgrade and the problem comes back.

If I boot Ubuntu from live USB, GUI works after login. However, I get some color artifacts probably because of the Nouveau drivers that come with it.

Any help would be very apperciated.

Nvidia logs are attached.

Thanks.

nvidia-bug-report.log (3.2 MB)

I upgrade to nvidia driver 520 and then reboot, black screen only, but i can access ubuntu from SSH.
Appreciated !
nvidia-bug-report.log (7.0 MB)

@leqt you have installed a driver with a known hdmi bug, Please use either driver 520.56.06 or 525.60.11

Dear generix
Appreciate for your promptly reply.
I do as following after downloading and error occurs

1. sudo systemctl isolate multi-user.target

2. sudo modprobe -r nvidia-drm

3. sudo bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-525.60.11.run

ERROR message

nvidia-installer log file ā€˜/var/log/nvidia-installer.logā€™
creation time: Sat Dec 3 14:07:26 2022
installer version: 525.60.11

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses v6 user interface
ā†’ Detected 104 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 32.
ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module ā€˜nvidia-drmā€™ appears to already be loaded in your kernel. This may be because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA program, or the NVIDIA Persistence Daemon), but this may also happen if your kernel was configured without support for module unloading. Please be sure to exit any programs that may be using the GPU(s) before attempting to upgrade your driver. If no GPU-based programs are running, you know that your kernel supports module unloading, and you still receive this message, then an error may have occurred that has corrupted an NVIDIA kernel moduleā€™s usage count, for which the simplest remedy is to reboot your computer.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ā€˜/var/log/nvidia-installer.logā€™ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

ERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module ā€˜nvidia-drmā€™ appears to already be loaded in your kernel. This may be
because it is in use (for example, by an X server, a CUDA program, or the NVIDIA Persistence
Daemon), but this may also happen if your kernel was configured without support for module
unloading. Please be sure to exit any programs that may be using the GPU(s) before attempting
to upgrade your driver. If no GPU-based programs are running, you know that your kernel
supports module unloading, and you still receive this message, then an error may have occurred
that has corrupted an NVIDIA kernel moduleā€™s usage count, for which the simplest remedy is to
reboot your computer.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ā€˜/var/log/nvidia-installer.logā€™ for details. You
may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

No, please donā€™t use the runfile installer. Only switch drivers using Software&Updates, if no useful driver is available, add the graphics driver ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
to have more driver versions available in Software&Updates.

Thanks, but the monitor is black after going to ubuntu, there is no GUI, so i can not use Software&Updates.
Many thanks

Then please try removing the driver from command line first

Thanks for your advice,
I can install Ubuntu 2204 with nvidia-driver 525.60.13, then nvidia-smi reports cuda-version 12.0.
But the only latest cuda version 11.8 is available, therefore i can not install cuda 11.8 due to incompatible with 525 driver. I need to cuda to install tensorflow-gpu.
Any hints or advices, please,
Thanks and regards,

The driver is backward compatible regarding cuda, it only defines a maximum cuda version, not a minimum.

Hi @generix My sisuation is the same
here are my bug report file .
please check .
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (341.9 KB)

@mmcuav_dev Please delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf