Boot NVIDIA Jetson-tx2 from existing external drive

I have a jetson tx2. It has an external SSD installed. It used to boot from this external SSD. But for some reason it stopped doing that, so now it boots from the internal mmcblk0p1 instead. So what I want to do is to flash the bootloader.

Here:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/flashing.html

Under " Basic Flashing Procedures" is described to call the flash script from the L4T Archive in this form: $ sudo ./flash.sh

I downloaded the newest version (i.e. 32.5.1) from here:

PROBLEM HERE: Putting my jetson in into recovery mode and calling $ flash.sh --no-flash jetson-tx2 sda1
Gives the following Error Message:
“Error: Invalid target board - jetson-tx2.”
Followed by the --help output of the flash script.

WHAT I TRIED TO FIX:
Do I have the correct board?
Here:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/quick_start.html#wwpID0EAAMNHA

It is explained, how to find out what board is connected.
Putting my jetson in recovery mode, connecting it via mirco-usb connector and calling lsusb gives this output: “Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0955:7c18 NVIDIA Corp. APX”
Meaning I have the Jetson TX2 with 8GB.

Does the flash script not support this board?
On the download page it says the board is supported and inside the first level folder of the L4T Download there does exist the “jetson-tx2.conf” file.

Why do I not want to use the SDK Manager?
The SSD already contains a configured Linux file system. So I do not want to overwrite that. I did not find a way to use the SDK Manager to flash the bootloader exclusively.

So I do not know what to do now. I am thankful for every help.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
OS on jetson: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
OS on linux host system: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

I am new here, excuse me if I forgot to try or mention something.

I think the first problem is our sdkmanager does not support ubuntu 20.04 now. Flash.sh is also same as sdkm.

Sdkm is just a GUI tool. It is actually uses flash.sh to do the flash work too.

PROBLEM HERE: Putting my jetson in into recovery mode and calling $ flash.sh --no-flash jetson-tx2 sda1
Gives the following Error Message:
“Error: Invalid target board - jetson-tx2.”
Followed by the --help output of the flash script.

Could you show us the full log and commands you are using from terminal?

1 Like

Thank you a lot for answering so quickly. I was not aware, that the flash.sh and the SDK-Manager were the same in a different appearance, thank you for that info.
I do not know what to say, I tried this for two days straight and suddenly it worked. (It didn’t work, but the script starts and I now have a different error)

I believe my problem was, that I called the flash script from a different directory instead of the first level directory of the L4T Download.

Thank you a lot anyway.

1 Like