burned ic

hi,

i have tegra tx1 there is an ic burned, there was a smoke and i smell a smell of IC burning so i opened the board looking for what was happened finally i found ic wrote on it ct258z also called u6 i do not know what was happened for all that after that i turned on board it worked well but i wanna know what is the main functionality of that ic? now i stopped my work until i know what happened because i don’t want to get it worse.
kindly find attached photo for more information about ic.
note that the board was in shutdown mode.
please help me.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,

If you are interested in RMA, look for that information near the top of this URL:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/793798/embedded-systems/some-jetson-web-links/[/url]

The schematic shows this as SN74LVC2T45…looks like this level shifts between 1.8V and 3.3V on some of the UART (serial I/O) functions.

okay.
i wanna know when i change it. is there any thing must i think about?
and how to make sure that isn’t there a new track has been cut?

I’m guessing that is an 8-layer board (at minimum it is a 6-layer board). Any kind of burn damage like that immediately makes me think it is a high probability of unrecoverable board damage. The single component you see burned could be the only component damaged, but that too does not have favorable odds.

If you want to attempt repair, and ignore RMA, I’d suggest use a hot air rework tool and remove that component. Then use an oscilloscope on the internal hardware side of that chip to see if the serial UART still shows a signal attempting to reach it (you’ll have to do something to figure out which pin that is from the schematic, and also run something like a serial UART adapter to send data to it).

How long ago did was the devkit purchased? If it was one year ago or less, you’ll want to RMA it for a replacement straight away. Otherwise you run the risk of voiding the warranty by attempting custom rework.

it was 8 month ago.
now i want to know if i want to complete my work, is there any dangerous will happen? and what is the purpose of that ic ?

There are serial UARTs for ordinary serial port type communications on the board. Apparently in some places they use 1.8V I/O, but this needs to be 3.3V instead, so this chip converts between 1.8V I/O voltages and 3.3V I/O voltages (“TTL” levels). I’m not sure exactly where those traces go since there are multiple connectors involved, but at least in part it seems to go to the camera.

On any burned board I would not trust it to not do damage.