Cannot install NVIDIA Driver (nvidia-driver-440) in freshly installed Ubuntu 18.04 - login loop

I am trying to install NVIDIA graphics card in my freshly installed Ubuntu. I tried using .run file but with no luck - resulted in blank screen. Then I tried using the Nvidia Driver (440 and 435) listed in the Software & Updates. I also installed lightdm as my system was running gdm3. But it resulted in login loop.
I also tried blacklisting nouveau but did not work.
What is the correct way of installing the driver.
Any help is much appreciated.
nvidia-bug-report.log (796.6 KB) - collected when installed using Software & Updates.

You now booted using nouveau so I don’t know what exactly happens with the nvidia driver but from an earlier boot:
RmInitAdapter failed! (0x26:0xffff:1227)
This might be broken hardware, did you cross-check if it works on Windows?

I do not have Windows installed. Is there any way to check if it is hardware issue.

Do a clean install of Ubuntu, then upgrade to the latest hwe
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
Install all system updates, then install the 440 driver from Software&Updates application. Never use a .run installer, especially not on notebooks.
Reboot, then check f you can log in. If not, switch to a VT (ctrl+alt+f1…f4), log in there and create a new nvidia-bug-report.log.

Additionally, there seems to be a problem with the thunderbolt port, can you disable it in bios for testing?

I did a clean install of ubuntu and then upgraded to latest hwe and installed the system upgrades.
I then installed 440 driver from Software&Updates section. Restarting the system resulted in blank screen showing something about Nvidia persistence daemon.
I ran the bug report from the recovery mode.
nvidia-bug-report.log (697.1 KB)
Also I could not find any options to disable thunderbolt ports in the BIOS settings.

Was a clean boot, ended with the same error. The gpu can’t be initialized. I’d say it’s broken, try to RMA if possible.

Yes, it was a clean boot and it ended up with the same error. Can you give me details about what you think is broken and how to verify it?

The nvidia gpu. To verify, download and install Windows 10 trial, install nvidia drivers from Acer website, reboot, then check device manager. Code 43 means broken. Since Acer only supports Windows on that notebook, I’d suspect you would have to do it for an RMA anyway.