Card too old?! It more than meets the minimum requirements...

In my basement we have a video editing suite; we got for it a Quadro FX 4500 X2 from PNY.

Not only does it more than exceed the recommended requirements, but it was top of the line when we got it 2 years ago!

It won’t run CUDA, at all! NVIDIA does not even say it exists!

I know that I won’t be buying from PNY ever again, but can we find out why this card, with the NVIDIA logo all over it, won’t run CUDA?

Quadro FX 4500 X2 boards have a G70GL core, similar to the Geforce 7 series cards. CUDA is only supported since the 8 series.

N.

So there is no way at all to get CUDA on these. No drivers, no nothing?

And I suppose it really isn’t worth it to put support for them in the next driver update?

If you take a look at the Wikipedia page for the Quadro line:

[url=“Quadro - Wikipedia”]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_Quadro[/url]

It says that the Quadro FX 4500X2 uses the G70GL chip, which is basically the same chip that was used in the 7-series GeForce cards. The first graphics cards to support CUDA were the 8-series cards that used the G80 chip.

Unfortunately, graphics hardware is changing at a phenomenal rate these days (and really has been for the last decade or so); not just performance improvements, but design improvements as well. CUDA requires certain hardware features that the older cards simply don’t have, and so it’s not backwards-compatible with any cards prior to the 8-series. Even if it was, you would probably get very poor performance from it.

If you really want to use CUDA for your video editing studio without spending a lot of money, consider purchasing a GTX260. They can be had for around $150-170, and they also support the latest CUDA features (note: thats GTX, not GTS, which is based on a slightly older chip). And it should have much faster performance than your Quadro.

Is there a similar card that supports 4 DVI monitors?

Sorry, there’s no way. It has to do with the design of the chip. The chips used in cards prior to the 8-series (like your Quadro) were only designed to be graphics cards, and not for GPU computing use. If you want to read more about it, Wikipedia has a pretty in-depth article on the history of GPUs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit

I’m not 100% positive, but I don’t think that any of the GeForce cards support 4 monitors. If your motherboard has two PCI Express x16 slots, you could get two of them though, which would handle 4 monitors (2x2). I don’t know about the Quadro cards, you’ll have to do some research on those to find out.

Quadro FX 4700 X2 cards have 4 DVI outputs and support CUDA with compute capability 1.1

N.