Debian 11 and Quadro K5100M

Hello,

I have a laptop from Dell Precision M6800 with i7, 32GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K5100M 8GB, 2x SSD. It’s running a long time unter a old version from Ubuntu without problems. Now the CMOS battery is empty and the system crash, so that I must new install the OS. For this I’ve installed Debian 11 and I can’t install the Nvidia driver with works correct.

# uname -a
Linux Precision-M6800 5.10.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.106-1 (2022-03-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The graphic card is correct detected:

# lspci -nnk | grep -i VGA -A2
0:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0416] (rev 06)
	DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
	Subsystem: Dell 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [1028:05cd]
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K5100M] [10de:11b8] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Dell GK104GLM [Quadro K5100M] [1028:15cd]
	Kernel modules: nouveau

# nvidia-detect
Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K5100M] [10de:11b8] (rev a1)

Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K5100M] (rev a1)
Your card is only supported up to the 390 legacy drivers series.
Your card is also supported by the Tesla 418 drivers series.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver
package.

After the installation of Debian 11 the nouveau driver is used and with the internal display it works. But with dockingstation and one or two monitors it is not work. I have only a picture on the internal display.

After installation of the nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver from the non-free debian package is the X11 not running.

After this I’ve reinstall the non-free driver and will install the driver from the Nvidia homepage which Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver | 418.113 | Linux 64-bit | NVIDIA.
I follow the instruction from NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver README and Installation Guide.

But I can’t build the driver.

# h ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-418.113.run
Verifying archive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 418.113...............................

The installation aborts with erros which are saved in /var/log/nvidia-installer.log.
nvidia-installer.log (3.0 MB)

I see that the kernal or X11 is not passed to this driver. The driver 390.87 from Nvidia have the same problem.

What mus I do that I can use the driver from Nvidia?

Thanks for our help,
Bernd

The correct driver for your gpu is v470, please try installing that from repo. If problems arise, please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

generix thanks,

I’ve installed the 470.42.01 and start X11 without external monitors. I see the X11 windows on the internal display. OK.
Now I connect one monitor and the X11 is only shown on the internal display. The display settings have only this. After restart and start of nvidia-xconfig I see the X11 windows only on the external monitor. The internal display is not in the configuration available. Than I connect the second monitor and the X11 windows is not shown on this. I must switch off the laptop and the monitors (not standby, power off).
After power on on booth monitors and restart, I see the X11 windows on booth monitors. But the internal display is not available in the configuration.
Now I disconnect booth monitors. The X11 windows is not shown on the internal display. Than I restart the laptop and the X11 windows is not show on the internal display.

The next point is, that from time to time one monitor dosn’t show the correct resolution. I can’t select this in the settings. But after a restart from the laptop it is correct.

Here the bug report:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (416.1 KB)

Question: Why is this driver not shown on the driver download page when I select my card?

Thanks for out help,
Bernd

Please see this:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/black-screen-on-main-laptop-screen-after-installing-nvidia-driver/211977/4?u=generix