Desktop GUI not loading properly

Hello,

After updating the drivers as prompted in the command-line interface, I got this screen when I boot up every time: [url]Nvidia Jetson TX1 desktop screen not loading properly - YouTube The desktop is missing the top menu bar and I am also unable to drag a window around. Do I need to flash Jetson to fix it or is there some other way? Sorry for the shaky hand in the video. Thank you!

Best regards

By updating do you mean “sudo apt-get upgrade”? What do you get from “sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release”?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I did “sudo apt-get upgrade” for updating. All of the lines of the result from “sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release” shows “OK” at the end. Thanks.

Best regards

I saw a bug listed for this for other Ubuntu systems (not just Jetsons). Some of the workarounds don’t exist in this version, but this may do what you need:

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
setsid unity

…I don’t know if you need to be logged in as that user, or if sudo is required. I suggest trying first with that user, and then with sudo if it refuses.

Alternative fix I saw:

rm -rf ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/*

Thanks for sharing the workaround here.

longyuxi,
May I ask what is the jetpack version you are using?

Hi,

When I do “dconf reset -f /org/compiz/”, I get an error message saying “error: Cannot launch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY”. When I do “setsid unity” after it, I get a “WARNING: no DISPLAY variable set, setting it to :0”.

I’m not using Jetpack yet. I’m still working only on the Jetson.

Best regards

How are you logged in? Is it directly to the Jetson with keyboard and monitor on the Jetson? Is there any remote element, e.g., ssh?

hey guys,

I had the same problem this is my fix :

> dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
> setsid unity

hope this can help someone ! :)

Hello,
Not work for me.
After “sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release” - OK.

Try w/o sudo:

> dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
> setsid unity

After second command GUI blink for a second and nothing changed.

rm -rf ~/.config/compiz-1/compizconfig/*

doesn’t help

I did update & upgrade. Decide re-flash on JetPack 3.2 and no use upgrade for now.

When you say things are failing it isn’t clear if you are reporting the same failure of the toolbar or just the GUI as a whole. This thread is about the toolbar, so that’s mostly how I’m approaching this.

If the problems show up with users other than “nvidia” or “ubuntu” you’ll want to be sure that user is in group “video”:

grep video /etc/group

Normal upgrade (not upgrade of release, just packages) should be done normally. If “sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra” fails after that, then you can unpack the driver package “nv_tegra/nvidia_drivers.tbz2” (the driver package is downloaded by JetPack, or you can just download the driver package from the web site) into “/” of the Jetson (make sure to use sudo).

If the file which is bad after an update is “/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so”, then just copy the good one at “/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/tegra/libglx.so” over the bad one.

I have seen the same problem on my Jetson TX2 after sudo apt-get upgrade in nvidia account. The other account, ubuntu, is not affected, so this should be a user issue. I followed this instruction: unity - No launcher and menu bar on ubuntu 16.04 - Ask Ubuntu to solve the issue.

This should probably be in the TX2 forum, but mostly it is the same as a TX1. What release are you using (see “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”)? Did you try all of the suggestions in this particular thread for compiz?