Error in flashing TX2

While trying to flash Jetpack to TX2, I get a “fail to flash device” error. The TX2 is in recovery mode and the micro-B USB port is connected (lsusb shows device)

Hi jeffc75l4, are you flashing from a VM or native Ubuntu x86_64 host? Only native host is supported.

Are you using the micro USB cable included with the devkit? Is it plugged into a USB2 port on your host PC? Have you tried switching ports? Is there any USB hub or adapter in between the Jetson and host PC?

• native Ubuntu
  • using cable supplied
  • cable is plugged in to USB port on host
  • I switched ports with same result
  • connection is direct from host to TX2 - no hub

Can you provide the flashing log when running JetPack / L4T?

Have you reset the device power since the error? How about trying flashing directly with L4T?

Are you getting sudo daemon errors like this?

External Media

External Media

I got those when I upgraded to Jetpack 3.2

To fix I had to uninstall and reinstall the rootfs/driver

response to dusty_nv

• Where would I find the flashing log? Is this on the host or target?
  • power has been reset
  • How do I flash directly with LT4?
    thanks

response to Atrer

• I am not getting sudo Daemon errors
  • I get a “probing the target board failed” error

The logs are on the host, from your Jetpack install directory it would be

./_installer/log/64_TX2/flash_os_tx2.log

Error: probing the target board failed
Make sure the target board is connected through
micro-B USB port and is in recovery mode

Prior to starting the flash, does the Jetson show up from:

lsusb -d 0955:7c18

Do beware you cannot attempt two flashes in a row without restarting recovery mode.

It does, I have restarted recovery mode between each attempts
Thanks

You will probably want to now do what @Altrer suggested…reinstall any JetPack or driver package directory and download again.

There is a lot lower chance of needing to do this when running command line than with the JetPack GUI. If you want to use just the command line tools (driver package plus sample rootfs) for manual flash as a way to simplify what errors might occur, see:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1031769/jetson-tx2/unable-install-any-jetpacks-jetson-tx2/post/5249710/#5249710[/url]

I tried flashing from the command line. I still get the same error - “probing the target board failed. Make sure the target board is connected through micro-B USB port and is in recovery mode”
Thanks

In the URL I gave in my previous post there is mention of how to log the flash:

sudo ./flash.sh -S 29318MiB jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1 2>&1 | tee log_flash.txt

Would you flash with this and post the entire log? You can attach the log as a file after the post is completed by hovering the mouse over the quote icon in the upper right and clicking on the “pencil” icon for editing…within the edit you can attach a file with the “paper clip” icon (you can only attach to a pre-existing post). Or you can simply paste the log…while creating a post the “</>” icon is for code, and surrounding your log with that will preserve indentation and add a scroll bar.

Please see below

###############################################################################

L4T BSP Information:

Unknown Release

###############################################################################
Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
micro-B USB port and is in recovery mode.

The “code” tags were not surrounding the log, which may be why it cut off. Can you edit and put the entire log in? We already know it failed, now we need to find out what went on and worked or didn’t work prior to the fail.

There was no additonal information in the log. I copied and pasted the entire contents
log_flash.txt (346 Bytes)

Is that the entire log? I thought it was just a cut from the bottom. What was your exact flash command?

It is the entire log, I included the actual log file as an attachment as well. I used the command you suggested, copied and pasted into a command window

I’m going to suggest you wipe out the entire PC side install area and start with a new download and unpack of the driver package and sample rootfs. Then try command line flash again. With lsusb showing the device it seems very odd from a non-VM Ubuntu host…it could be actual hardware failure, but this seems unlikely. Most likely is some odd and unusual detail in the install process.

We actually did a uninstall and re-install of the JetPack with the same results