Find L4T , linux version and JetPack versions

Hi
We have a custome board with Jetson nano SoM.There is an image flashed.
I had to change the linux sources in order to support lontium hdmi to mipi chip as i2c camera
(add i2c driver and dtsi).I already did on on the Jetson nano EVB.
At EVB I used JetPack 4.6 ,L4T 32.6.1 and linux 4.9.140 (as got by uname -r)
Now, the Jetson SoM support USB camera which should be replaced with the mipi lontium.
I want to make order in the version of JetPack , L4T , linux.
On the custom board -
linux uname gives : 4.9.253-tegra
cat /etc/nv_tegra_release gives: #R32(rlease) , REVISION: 7.1 …
If I understand correctel - I have to download linux sources of L4T 32.7.1 change and build uImage and dtb and replace them on the current Jetson Image.
but what is the 4.9.253-tegra and how connect to L4T 32.7.1 and which JetPack suitable for this version/how can i get the JetPack version of the current image.

thanx

Yud

Hi,

I’m not sure what exactly your issue is.
4.9.253 is the kernel version used in L4T 32.7.1, and -tegra is the custom kernel suffix added by NVIDIA.
For the JetPack version, L4T 32.7.1 is paired with JetPack 4.6.1.
You are supposed to download the kernel source at:

FYI, uImage has not been used in a long time. These days it just uses the Image and/or modules. uImage was used in 32-bit ARMv7 days.

This URL lists via L4T release, and leads to the same place that picking a compatible JetPack would go to:
https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra

L4T is just Ubuntu plus NVIDIA drivers, and gets that name after the NVIDIA driver and libraries are installed to the Ubuntu rootfs. JetPack is the GUI front end software for flash. There are some packages named related to this that can be installed, but in this context, JetPack could just be considered the tool for flashing L4T.

The source code for the kernel (and everything else) is listed on the L4T release page. The “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release” tells you the L4T release, and you’ve already seen it is R32.7.1. If you go to that release, then kernel and other source is available there (the kernel source is actually a source package within a source package). 4.9.253 happens to be the kernel version, and the -tegra is a configuration which is set up before building the kernel (in kernel configuration it is the same as setting CONFIG_LOCALVERSION equal to “-tegra”; the combination responds to the “uname -r” command as “4.9.253-tegra”, and this is where modules are searched for by that kernel).

Thanx a lot for the answers and the description.It helps…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.