GPU Acceleration Problem

I was looking for an NVIDIA Quadro forum. In the GeForce forum I found this: “Quadro related posts usually end up on our devtalk forums https://devtalk.nvidia.com/” If this is not the correct place to post this question, please advise.

This is a graphics accelerator question. Simply: I’m running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell M7710 w/ a Quadro M5000M card. If, in Photoshop CC, I enable the Graphics Processor option and use the Liquefy filter, Photoshop crashes. If I disable the GPU option, Liquefy works, but it’s not as fast as I would like. I have the most current Dell/NVIDIA driver (Video_Driver_XG03C_WN32_10.18.13.5445_A00.EXE) installed. If anyone has any advice about how to troubleshoot this (or, if anyone can direct me to a more appropriate forum), I would much appreciate it.

Thanks.

The best place to ask about Photoshop crashing would seem to be Photoshop technical support. If Adobe thinks the problem is not theirs but caused by NVIDIA software, I am sure they will point it out.

I would guess that there are not enough Photoshop users present here to get a good answer in a reasonable time frame, but just in case I am wrong, you might want to start by being more specific about what you mean when you say Photoshop “crashes”. Crashes how? Is there an error message being displayed? If so, what does it say? Does use of other filters make Photoshop “crash”? Does it depend on the image size perhaps, or does the liquefy filter cause a “crash” no matter what the image size or format?

Thanks for the response.

The Photoshop forums are replete with this question. I have yet to find anyone with a solution on the forums. Photoshop technical support’s standard answer is that the problem is due to bugs in the video cards.

Regardless of the image, as soon as I implement the Liquefy filter, I get the message “Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.” It doesn’t happen with other filters.

I can post a crash log if that would do any good.

Thanks, again.

That is not an unexpected response from technical support, finger-pointing is a fairly typical scenario in such application-level crashes, and it is impossible to determine for a user which vendor’s software is the more likely source.

Given how certain the Adobe guys seem to be that this is an issue caused by NVIDIA software, one wonders whether the folks at Adobe have opened a bug with NVIDIA. Has anyone asked about that? You could always file a bug with NVIDIA yourself. This may result in finger-pointing back at Photoshop, so don’t get your hopes up too high.

Even assuming this problem is caused by NVIDIA software, it is not at all clear that the software in question would be CUDA. Photoshop could be using compute shaders for example, or there could be weird interactions between OpenGL and CUDA. Who knows.