Help reverting nvidia-settings

Hello,
I’m using Linux Mint and performed an update through the update manager. This resulted in nvidia-390 being updated from 390.25-0ubuntu0~14.04.1, and nvidia-settings being updated from 390.25-0ubuntu0~gpu.14.04.1 to 396.18
Sadly, this broke my ability to use my graphics card, which is geforce gtx 970M (GM204M).

Can you help me revert to this previous set-up and/or solve my current malaise a different way?

If you’re using the graphics ppa, it should be possible to just update the driver to R396 as well.
[url]https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa[/url]
Doesn’t that work?

Sadly 396 isn’t working.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (57.1 KB)

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post will reveal a paperclip icon.

Report uploaded!

Remove the
nomodeset
kernel parameter from /etc/default/grub, run sudo update-grub afterwards and reboot.
Post a new nvidia-bug-report if that doesn’t fix the issue.

Thank you for the assisting in dealing with this issue. I’m now seeing the taskbar applet which is nice, but I think there’s still a problem using the graphics card. I selecting nvidia as the graphics pref via nvidia x-server settings but it didn’t work.

Here is a the new bug report.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (99.4 KB)

Please issue
sudo prime-select nvidia
and reboot.

Maybe the gpu manager log will help (attached).

gpu-manager.log (2.62 KB)

At this point (despite the original title), I’m just looking to get the graphics card working properly, whatever version of configuration it may take to get everything working properly.

Both the gpu-manager.log and nvidia-bug-report.log tell that your system is switched to intel.
What’s the exact output of
sudo prime-select query
and
sudo prime-select nvidia

Sorry, my bad.
When I switch to nvidia and reboot it crashed during startup.
query says intel and and prime-select nvidia says:

Info: the current GL alternatives in use are: [‘nvidia-390-prime’, ‘nvidia-390-prime’]
Info: the current EGL alternatives in use are: [‘nvidia-390-prime’, ‘nvidia-390-prime’]
Info: selecting nvidia-390 for the nvidia profile
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-390/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_egl_conf) in manual mode

Ok, but I would need the nvidia-bug-report.log from when it’s crashing, can you switch to VT using ctrl+alt+f1 when it crashed? Does it help when you press alt+sysrq+r and then ctrl+alt+f1? Otherwise, can you ssh in from another system?