How to install Jetpcack on Linux 16.04?

Hello, I recently purchased a Jetson TX1. When I was trying to install Jetpack on my Dell XPS 13, it failed because it’s running Linux 16.04. (I think OpenCV doesn’t support 16.04) I have contacted Dell, and they told me it’s not possible to downgrade to 14.04 since chipset changes on the laptop.

SO can someone help me with this installation? I don’t want to buy another laptop. (The XPS cant be returned either).

Please HELP!

Although JetPack was intended for Ubuntu 14.04 some people here have made minor changes and got it to work on 16.04…one of those people may be able to help on that.

Meanwhile, if you just want to flash on command line, you can do this on any 64-bit Linux PC without requiring Ubuntu at all. If you later get JetPack working you can then use this for package installs without a flash.

Go to the L4T R24.2.1 release page:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra

Download the driver and sample rootfs packages.

Then:

tar xjfv Tegra210_Linux_R24.2.1_aarch64.tbz2
cd Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs
sudo tar xjfp /whereever/samplerootfs/is/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R24.2.1_aarch64.tbz2
cd ..
sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
# Place JTX1 in recovery mode with micro-B USB cable.
# Verify it is found on the host:
lsusb -d 0955:7721
# Verify you have approximately 25GB or more space available as ext4:
df -H -T .
# Actual flash with sudo.
sudo ./flash.sh -S 14580MiB jetson-tx1 mmcblk0p1

Thanks linuxdev! But I only have one Linux pc which is the Dell XPS 13 running Ubuntu 16.04. I guess I will try to find the changed JetPack on here. Do you happen to have a link for that?

Appreciate your help!

I have no experience with modifications for making JetPack run on 16.04. The steps I mentioned above are actually how JetPack performs the flash…but doing this manually means you don’t need JetPack. The goal is to get your flash done until someone can answer how to get JetPack set up on 16.04.

If you’re trying to run JetPack from Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 host, please disable host “OpenCV for Tegra on Ubuntu 14.04” in the GUI. This is the entry under the ‘Common’ drop-down, indicating that it is host-side cross-compiling tools (not the package that is installed to the Jetson). Set it to “no action” and JetPack should install fine on Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64.

Note that OpenCV4Tegra will still be installed to your Jetson, as long as the entry under the ‘For Jetson TX1 64bit’ dropdown is left set to “install”. The host-side packages which were disabled above are not strictly required.

The trick I used should work. However, if you attempt to install ffmpeg (and perhaps other packages), you may run into problems.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/990916/jetson-tx1/installing-jetpack-2-3-1-onto-fresh-ubuntu-16-04/

All that’s doing is installing those 3 packages from the 14.04 repo and then removing the 14.04 repos from your updates so there are no further conflicts. Libraries should experience no harm in having older versions on the system. They can live side-by-side with newer library versions, despite whatever the package manager forces you to do.

This is only a temporary solution at best and not installing OpenCV for Tegra packages may be more stable.

Thank you all for your help!

I have followed dusty_nv’s method and installed Jetpack. However, I do need to use Opencv, but I couldn’t find it on the TX1. Is there a step by step tutorial for how to run opencv? This is my first time working with Linux, I used to work on Windows and mac mostly.

Thank ya’ll!