How to update l4t from 4.3 to 4.6.1? I did 4.3 to 4.6.3 though

I followed below contents and updated to 4.6.3. but could not update to 4.6.1.
how to do it?
Updating a Jetson Device

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list
I changed the <elease> in the above list file to r32.7.1 but it does not work.
‘r32.7’ in <release> works and it leaded to l4t32.7.3 after reboot.

The version is checked in /etc/nv_tegra_release, and it shows "# R32(release), REVISION: 7.3…'.

FYI, 4.6.3 and 4.6.1 are releases of JetPack, which is the GUI installer, and must run on an Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 host PC. What actually gets flashed is “Linux for Tegra” (“L4T”, which is Ubuntu plus NVIDIA drivers). The current L4T release can be found with “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”. Note that a given release of L4T is tied to a specific JetPack release, and so the terminology is still somewhat interchangeable.

Simply changing the apt repository is not an actual upgrade. This does indeed make the packages of another release available. For newer releases there are commands to make this upgrade. However, you are starting with a release which I think is older than when such upgrades from one release to another were first enabled. I think you’ll have to flash, which in turn means using an Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 host PC with JetPack/SDK Manager added to that PC.

Documents and downloads are available here (either link will get you there):

Note that if this is any Xavier, then you can use L4T R35.x/JetPack 5.x+. If using JetPack 5.x+, then the host PC can be either Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04.

Flash will erase the current content, but you can first clone to keep a reference copy (this takes a lot of space, and instructions differ depending on whether it is an SD card model or an eMMC model).

Thank you for the quick reply.
The FYI was a great learning experience.

Due to business constraints, I want to use 4.6.1/L4T R32.7.1. (Because I have not investigated the impact of the security update from 4.6.1 to 4.6.3, I am worried that pytorch etc. will not be usable)

Before doing this I burned 4.6.1 with SDK Manager and restored the 4.3 image. As a result, I gave up because the NVIDIA logo was displayed and the reboot was repeated.
At that time, I put System.img of 4.3 under Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader of 4.6.1 and executed it with the following command. “sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP jetson-xavier mmcblk0p1”

To flash and restore the image (which I understand is better), is there anything wrong with the above steps?
Where to start to fix that situation?

Hi ShimaT,

Are you using the devkit or custom board?

Please use jetson-xavier-nx-devkit.conf as your board config for Xavier NX.

Hi KevinFFF,

I am using the dev kit. because the composed box shows “Jetson AGX Xavier developer kit”.

In this case, using “jetson-xavier” as <target_board or platform?> is wrong?

I just saw your topic is in Jetson Xavier NX category.
For Jetson AGX Xavier, you could use jetson-xavier.conf as your board config.

It seems you want to use Jetpack4.6.1.
Have you tried to flash Jetpack4.6.1 directly with SDKM?

I just saw your topic is in Jetson Xavier NX category.

I am sorry for that. I did not understand the difference.

you could use jetson-xavier.conf as your board config.

Thus, I did the following;

sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP jetson-xavier mmcblk0p1

It seems you want to use Jetpack4.6.1.
Have you tried to flash Jetpack4.6.1 directly with SDKM?

I did but it did not correctly work after reboot. Only logo shows.
Then, I applied “apt dist-upgrade”, but it skipped 4.6.1. :(

This command would update APP partition only with existed bootloader/system.img.

Do you mean that your AGX Xavier devkit could not boot up successfully with Jetpack 4.6.1 flashed from SDK Manager?

This command would update APP partition only with existed bootloader/system.img .

I thought so, thus I did flash Jetpack 4.6.1 by SDK Manager before that.
Then I thought that 4.3 image on 4.6.1 was the problem, and I tried to dist-upgrade 4.3 to 4.6.1 but reached to 4.6.3.

Do you mean that your AGX Xavier devkit could not boot up successfully with Jetpack 4.6.1 flashed from SDK Manager?

No, it worked right after 4.6.1 flashed.
Restoring 4.3 APP image might cause the problem.

The above is mixing 4.3 and 4.6.1 (boot content versus rootfs). Quite often (not always) mixing the boot content of one release with the rootfs (the o/s) of another release will fail in the way you described. I’ll suggest making things entirely 4.3 or 4.6.1, but not a mix.

That is why I tried to update to 4.6.1 (4.6.3 though) by “apt dist-upgrade”.

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvidia-l4t-apt-source.list
I changed the in the above list file to r32.7.1 but it does not work.
‘r32.7’ in works and it leaded to l4t32.7.3 after reboot.

Is there any way to reach 4.6.1 from 4.3? and how?

Could you just flash 4.6.1 or 4.6.3 through SDKM?
It will give you clean Jetson Linux installed.

If there’s any issue after flash, please help to provide the serial console log for further check.

The update will always go to the latest one. So your request cannot be achieved.

For example, the latest version of rel-32.7.x is rel-32.7.3, apt dist-upgrade will reach to 32.7.3 directly.

The reason I did it is because torchlib requires Jetpack 4.6.1 and my current application runs on 4.3.

Therefore, I tried the following two methods, but I couldn’t come up with anything else. If you have any good ideas please let me know

1. Restore 4.3 image on 4.6.1.
  2. From 4.3 to 4.6.1 with dist-upgrade. Although the result is 4.6.3

The boot content of a given release needs to be compatible with the rootfs (which is what a clone provides…the rootfs, but not the boot content). Sometimes and older and newer release are compatible (in terms of boot content and rootfs), but often not. Regardless, CUDA and many other related softwares (those which depend on a GPU driver) are dependent upon the rootfs and won’t care about the boot content. In other words, if you upgrade JetPack to a newer release, but use an older rootfs and get lucky and it works, then the GPU-dependent content is still stuck with the older release which generated that rootfs.

You need to fully flash, including a new rootfs, if you want to move to 4.6.3, and not reuse the image. You can save a lot of content and then add it back in at 4.6.3, but direct clone would still use the wrong JetPack release.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.